Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family from Missouri moved in across the road from our farm. Tonight about an hour before dark, they fired 25 shots into a target on a sidehill. They own 80 acres of pasture with very little timber & one drainage ditch on it & I've been told they do it several times a day, all 9 days of our rifle season. I can only guess they were trying to get the deer moving? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Yes. Anti hunters.

Several years ago where we used to go hunting was sparsely populated but a great place to hunt. The anti hunters booked every hotel room for 50 miles. Then they took to the woods banging on pots and pans to scare the deer.

If confronted by a hunter they were armed with video cameras to tape the encounter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's so ridiculous. I use to have a guy that would call the cops every time he saw my truck in the field where I hunted. Then he'd drive up and down the street blowing his horn until they got there. Eventually they stopped coming after about 4-5 times. Game wardens Said the guy was a real pecker and would call on the kids that skated on the pond in the winter and said hunters are always looking in his windows. Wackjob

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The deer will get used to the noise and disregard it. At OakTree gun club we used to have to stop when the deer would wander onto the target field and go shoo them away.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of the deer will get used to it, saw two does after the 25 shots, but I don't think a big buck will tolerate it, he'll leave the state.

·
Premium Member
11,991 Posts
I suspect just sighting in their guns - going hunting somewhere else.

That or they had too much beer and needed to get rid of it ('beer and shooting' is the state sport of MO).

Reactions: wingmaster78

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's so ridiculous. I use to have a guy that would call the cops every time he saw my truck in the field where I hunted. Then he'd drive up and down the street blowing his horn until they got there. Eventually they stopped coming after about 4-5 times. Game wardens Said the guy was a real pecker and would call on the kids that skated on the pond in the winter and said hunters are always looking in his windows. Wackjob
What you need to do AFTER the season is get a bunch of your buddies and stand along the road in front of his house glassing flys . 2 or 3 times should do it . OR call a couple of those door to door preachers and give his address.
Soup

·
Registered
175 Posts

Had a guy like that live across the street from my parents. Best revenge was to simply be friendly to the guy and occasionally point out how his behavior (particularly to the local kids) wasn't particularly "adult-like". He lived to try and bully folks to see things his way, and it killed him when you'd behave as though he had no effect on your life (which is what he wanted). Even better to point out that his behavior to a kid passing by wasn't particularly mature... and doing so in front of his wife and children.

My personal favorite though was when he decided to denigrate someone seeking permission to open a home business (he was getting an FFL) at a township meeting. When his initial protests didn't work, he went for the ad hominem attacks against the applicant, pointing out that they were "problematic to the neighborhood" because the police had several cars parked on his property the Friday night before the township meeting, and this was proof positive that he was "not of good character". Without missing a beat, one of the local officers in attendance stepped up and corrected him by pointing out that they weren't at the applicant's address, but were at his neighbor's house... because one of the occupants had passed away.

True to form, the guy huffed and puffed, then stormed the podium to complain about something else... never even acknowledging that he made a mistake or offering condolences to the neighbor who lost his spouse (in fact he had a nasty remark for him as well). His own kids called him out on that one (in public).

Apologies for the story... just amazes me how some people can behave like this and think that it's perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not good relations...but the next time you get a buck..... leave the business end of him in the guys mailbox...lol.... I have the same issues with a few folks...

·
Registered
84 Posts
The deer will get used to the noise and disregard it. At OakTree gun club we used to have to stop when the deer would wander onto the target field and go shoo them away.
I had to do that for the first time about a month ago at a local gun club

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I would like to hear it from the offending neighbors first hand. It could be that someone just likes to shoot. But if it is intentional harassment of wildlife that would be against the law in most states and you could get some help from a warden if this is what is going on.

Seems like a fairly expensive tactic just to scare deer away depending on the caliber used.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is very true noise doesn't seem to bother them much. Know this first hand didn't run off a 160~ 8 point two weeks ago letting a friend break in his new CC gun on my property. Why I don't harvest him you ask? Hes got a good blood line that will bring major dividends to all the does.

Some of the deer will get used to it, saw two does after the 25 shots, but I don't think a big buck will tolerate it, he'll leave the state
The Bucks are where the Does are this time of year, trust me you would be too.

I suspect just sighting in their guns - going hunting somewhere else.

That or they had too much beer and needed to get rid of it ('beer and shooting' is the state sport of MO).
+1 I think we have a winner probably explains them to a tee.

Beer and Guns must be a sport
Red

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes. Anti hunters.

Several years ago where we used to go hunting was sparsely populated but a great place to hunt. The anti hunters booked every hotel room for 50 miles. Then they took to the woods banging on pots and pans to scare the deer.

If confronted by a hunter they were armed with video cameras to tape the encounter.
Some GreenPeace folks came into our camp and threw bloody tampons in our tents while we were out hunting and urinated on our sleeping bags back in the mid 1980s.

·
Premium Member
11,991 Posts
Some GreenPeace folks came into our camp and threw bloody tampons in our tents while we were out hunting and urinated on our sleeping bags back in the mid 1980s.
Did their family members ever find the bodies??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts