Exercising the eyes for better scores. | Trap Shooters Forum

Exercising the eyes for better scores.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 24, 2014.

1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I found I had a habit of pointing my nose at things I wanted to see - developed after some eye surgeries 30+ years ago. I began practicing moving my eyes instead of my head and even devised a way to stretch and exercise the controlling eye muscles by looking high, low, right, left using just the eyes - about 5 minutes at a time several days a week. After the first couple of days I noticed pain around the eye sockets but stayed with the exercises. The pain has diminished and I think I'm seeing better. Really.

Shooting related? I'm not alone on this point, but seeing the targets more clearly helps break more of them. If you doubt this assertion, just investigate the master shooters and coaches who tell us to see the target clear and distinct. Also, consider the machinations some go through with tape on their lenses and special devices to block the off-eye.

Of course, this isn't the only road to better scores and I am not belittling anyone who finds they need to shoot one-eye or use tape. In the end, though, I'm thinking many of us could benefit from seeing better. The eye muscles are just muscles and they work best when exercised. Al Braner had me mounting the gun to build muscle and muscle memory. It has worked well for me and I rarely look at the beads or barrel.

Here are a couple more comments on eyes that I gleaned from Phil Kiner's DVD. Work at strengthening the dominant eye by covering the non-dominant one when not shooting. I've taken to wearing a cheap eye patch when watching television (no, not when driving). Strengthening the dominant eye probably lessens the likelihood of the non-dominant side stepping in when there's fatigue. Makes sense to me. I am also wearing lighter colored lenses (ones where I can see without squinting) and I've stopped wearing sunglasses except when in very bright sun.

Evidence is in my recent scores, up from low to mid 80s last spring to mid 90s today. I worked with a coach, had the gun fitted, added a pfs, practiced mounting, and started working on my eyes.

2. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Gramps...
    Try lying on the floor and looking up at a rotating fan. Follow the outer blade ends without moving your head.
    dju

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Put a 1" orange 22 target sticker on the fan blades, gives your eye something to focus on. Over time this will make your eyes "very fast to target lock on". YMMV. Scott

Search tags for this page
eye excercises for trap shooting

eye exercises for trap shooting

eye exercises to shoot better
eye rotation exercises for trap shooting
shooting trap for better scores
trap shooting exercises
trap shooting eye exercises
what eye muscles are use in trap shooting