Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I have a friend who is a long time reloader and I brought him some once fired Winchester AA hulls. He's running 20 some grains of green dot with 1 1/ 8 oz of 8 shot out of a 391. He sent me a pic today of the fired hulls and thinks the fouling is excessive said there was allot more on the hulls before the pic...Im not sure either way, but he thinks it is. What say you? If it is what could be the possible causes?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Many years back Winchester changed its primer mix in shells used at the Grand (Vandalia). There were a lot of comments given to Winchester about how much more "dirt" these factory shells had compared to other previous years shells. I know that I was one of the many that asked about it and showed the Rep. some of the "dirty" shells. He was the one that said the primer had been changed. Winchester did hand out a complimentary certificate good for a free box of shells. So it might be reloading related but not in the context of what you are doing but rather in the context of the primer, shell wad powder primer combo being used.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I believe that it is not a shell problem, but just the fact that they are being fired in an auto. The action is opening so fast that some if the gasses go out of the breech. Have you ever watched the fire come out of a hull as it comes out of the autos in low light ? Have him shoot some of the white Top Gun shells if he wants to see dirty hulls. Bill

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If he's not reloading exactly to the recipe hull, powder, primer,wad, crimp depth it may cause a different burn rate causing soot from incomplete ignition. Many articles have been written regarding changing one component and how that change changes the end result with either higher or lower pressures.

I own several auto's and can't recall dirtier hulls than my break open guns.

Surfer

·
Registered
585 Posts
Typical AA hulls. I gave up on them. Did not matter what I shot them in from my 1100 ,M21 or my Guerini. They always looked like that . I believe that the thin hull that AAs have lets the blowback foul them up. I switched to Federal hulls don't have that problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats what Im also thinking SC, the older AA hulls don't seem to be fouling up nearly as bad as these new ones

1 - 10 of 10 Posts