Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ugh..I hate snakes..vile, poisonous, disgusting creatures. Somehow I don't think a .357 with snake shot would've taken care of that fatbody. Glad I don't live in Texas.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
From the picture, I would agree with the 9' 1", but I think 37 lbs. would be a little closer. Still a big one, don't want him in my tent!!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I don't know what they terminated him with,..but had it been me he would have been 6ft 1" and 70lbs.....whatever 6 3"mag #2 pre-steel goose loads to the head would have left behind

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Something fishy here. There's noway that snake would weigh 97 lbs, Unless he just swallowed a medium sized dog. The photo is a bit decieving too. The camera is quite a bit closer to the snake than the man who's holding it way out from himself. This makes the snake appear noticably larger than it really is.

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Am I the only one that sees something wrong with the snake picture? That man doesn't look like he can lift and hold out in front of himself, 97 lbs. on the end of a 3 or 4 foot long bar of some kind. Try it sometime and hold it long enough for someone to take a picture.

Go figure.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snopes says it is undetermined but it also says it was found at the Turkey creek Gas Plant so at least it was in texas but it tells of a different hwy number.

Of course the Rooster picture is real above .

foggy

·
Registered
417 Posts
Anyone ever been to Burnet, Tow for that matter?

Now look at the horizon behind the gas compressor station, at the grass seen in the pic-----ever seen anything like that near Burnet?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've got a call into a buddy that works with the guy that killed that coontail, it was killed relatively close to 281--bout 30 miles South, by crow-----in the Texas Panhandle. He was wrapped around a NG feed line coming out of the ground, tryin to cool off.

This was mid Summer before last, IIRC, the way I remember him telling it, it was 91" long and he figured 40 pounds.

I'll promise ya, give me a chance at a bigun like that and I will take him alive to the Big Texan in Amarillo, only worth about $400---------alive.

Biggest I ever found was 77", and he was a horse.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree about keeping him alive and selling or donating to a collection.

I recently caught one in my garage but he was little (please, please, don't try this at home and blame me when you're in the hospital and they want to cut your black leg off!) and took him out to a field to let him go.

By the way, I've had rattlesnake and while it tastes just fine, I really didn't like the texture at all. Much to chewy for me, but I understand some folks think it's great. But to each his own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Foghorn, when growing up in Iowa we had a rooster that would chase me around
the farm yard that seemed that big to a five year old. I always carried a couple wet corn cobbs in my back pocket. Now living in south Texas we have a
couple Blue Indigo Snakes that I see around the house ever so often, Rattlers
are on their menu so glad to have them around. I've ran around hunting Guail all over the King Ranch, and can only remember two Rattlers I've come across, and I hope they are the only two I ever encounter, but know telling how many I've been close to. Don't hunt that much now but alway's carefull going into
Trap House.

Ya'll take care and have fun shooting. Wayne Quandt

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.