Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something I though I would share.
Back in the early 2000’s I shot a lot of skeet and sporting clays. I traveled and shot probably 500 to 600 shells a week. I always used a Browning or Beretta of some sort. Sometimes a 391 but mostly an xs Citori.
I stopped shooting around 2005 to start a custom rifle shop The shop took all my time to get established so shotgunning didn’t happen much
I started shooting some sporting clays again two years ago. The one thing that really caught my attention was the fact that you didn’t see many Browning being shot. A few autos but very few Citori over unders. What I did see was dam near every man women and child shooting a high dollar K gun or P gun.
Back when I was competing hard I had a young family so I never had the opportunity to shoot or compete with such a fine gun. These days however they seem to be common play .
I am not referring to your local small country trap and skeet club as I wouldn’t know. Seems though that every good size sporting shoot I attend, what I see is as I stated. I don’t find this neither good nor a bad thing just interesting. I loved my Browning and still do but I am in a place in life that I can afford those elusive high end shotguns and I enjoy them very much as well. Anyone agree with my experience?
Lee

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
Back in the early 2000’s I shot a lot of skeet and sporting clays. I traveled and shot probably 500 to 600 shells a week. I always used a Browning or Beretta of some sort. Sometimes a 391 but mostly an xs Citori.
I stopped shooting around 2005 to start a custom rifle shop The shop took all my time to get established so shotgunning didn’t happen much
I started shooting some sporting clays again two years ago. The one thing that really caught my attention was the fact that you didn’t see many Browning being shot. A few autos but very few Citori over unders. What I did see was dam near every man women and child shooting a high dollar K gun or P gun.
Back when I was competing hard I had a young family so I never had the opportunity to shoot or compete with such a fine gun. These days however they seem to be common play .
I am not referring to your local small country trap and skeet club as I wouldn’t know. Seems though that every good size sporting shoot I attend, what I see is as I stated. I don’t find this neither good nor a bad thing just interesting. I loved my Browning and still do but I am in a place in life that I can afford those elusive high end shotguns and I enjoy them very much as well. Anyone agree with my experience?
Lee

Warning following post contains large amounts of sarcasm and poor attempt at humor. Snowflakes read with caution.

We are trying to rid our sport of the riff raff, but they keep on hanging on. Now they are buying high end guns for skeet and sporting clays when they need nothing more than grandpa‘s Browning he used for quail hunting. They simply are not getting the message.

·
Registered
26,366 Posts
Lee
It’s a thing. Everyone wants people to think they are just as “good” as the next guy. When I was growing up in the ‘50’s they called it “Keeping up with the Joneses.” and those that practiced it were forever struggling with the payments.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Our small country trap and skeet club is full of high end stuff. Not being shot by the young folks, they are still shooting the lower cost options and beating us with them. I would say most are 50+ that have the $10K+ guns. I agree, I think its about where we are in our finical life. I turned 60 not long ago and just purchased my first K gun (Kolar). Was a Browning guy up that point.
I don't think it's a bad thing or a good thing. Never one time did I say to myself - self, "I don't have an expensive enough gun to shoot with these other folks" I would hope that other young shooters would not be deterred.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I bought my first k-80 from Dupont in 1991. When I went to close the deal they asked me if I would be financing it. I was amazed people would finance a gun. I told them it would be paid in full then and there but asked if people were really financing guns. Again, I was amazed when told many took advantage of it. Maybe I'm wrong, but financing a vehicle, a house, other necessary things is one thing, but a gun? I always figured any debt was bad debt and HATED owing money. I may be wrong but I think nowadays more people than we imagine are financing a gun they couldn't afford otherwise. I guess it's up to the individual but if I couldn't pay for it I'd find a better option on a gun. Jmho.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Not ALWAYS the case. Look up Devon Harris and his model 12. . While you are at it you might want to check out the 2020 Grand doubles champ. Zeke Yeager shooting his 100 straight with an old Remington 3200. BTW Nora Martin shoots doubles with an old Browning Broadway. I know you have head old story about it being the Indian and not the arrow. There are still some Indians around shooting some OLD Arrows and doing quite well with them . Sort of reminds me of a guy who used to live in our area , He was averaging in the high 80s. He moved south and bought a 15,000 dollar trap gun. Oh, he is still shooting in the high 80s BUT, he looks so much more COOL doing it now ! 🙂

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I mainly shoot Brownings for everything. Bought another new one at the Grand. There are a couple brothers, last name Barthelow I believe, that seem to do pretty darn well with their Brownings. A fancy, high dollar gun will not make you shoot better but it does impress some people. Never felt under gunned with my Brownings.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have had both my 99+ and Citori+ for over 12 yrs. and a BT99 i got about a year ago. LH nice wood release trigger I shoot it pretty well. I don't need a release but I liked the gun. They shoot well even though they are older guns it's me getting older and don't shoot as well as I used to. My wife told me to buy a Seitz if I wanted one. Being over 70 I can't justify one. I shoot with a lot of guys with higher dollar guns than mine and we all have good days and not so good days.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just went down the hole for my teenage son a Kolar. But hey, that's what a second job lets me do and he understands the sacrifices I make. He understands money doesn't grow on trees and it takes a lot of hard work to get something. It makes me feel good giving him something I could only dream of having. My guns are cheaper hunting guns. He will pay for it of course doing chores, staying out of trouble, and having straight A's in school. The best part was he didn't even know what brand it was when he said he really liked it and that was after handling and shooting over 20 different guns. He's not one to be trendy or fancy and loves his BT-99, but it's kinda hard to shoot doubles with it. We tried Browning and Beretta O/U guns, but they just didn't have the feel he was looking for and his scores dropped. What I have found out over the past 3 years and a few guns is 1) He has to like it or else his scores suffer from the mental aspect. 2) The gun is the cheap part of the sport. I spend way more on the travel, ammo, and trap fees.

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
Suggested retail pricing from 1976 Gun Digest

What cost $100.00 in 1976 costs $4,797.94 today.

Today, not unusual to see juniors shooting guns over $10,000.00 and it is not daddy’s gun.

I bought my first k-80 from Dupont in 1991. When I went to close the deal they asked me if I would be financing it. I was amazed people would finance a gun. I told them it would be paid in full then and there but asked if people were really financing guns. Again, I was amazed when told many took advantage of it. Maybe I'm wrong, but financing a vehicle, a house, other necessary things is one thing, but a gun? I always figured any debt was bad debt and HATED owing money. I may be wrong but I think nowadays more people than we imagine are financing a gun they couldn't afford otherwise. I guess it's up to the individual but if I couldn't pay for it I'd find a better option on a gun. Jmho.
People finance boats, places, second homes, sports cars too and none of those are necessary.
Kreighoff has been financing their guns for over 50 years.

Reactions: Chance McCall

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
I have a Remington 3200 love It 1974
BT 99 1974
Had them both rebuilt in the past 3 years.
I was shooting in the State tournament a few years ago. My Browning Cynergy fore arm came off. There was a gun smith there. He used Super glue. Told me this part of the shotgun wasn't made properly.
There was a company there selling Shot guns. They let me pick a shotgun to shoot for the last two days. It was a Kolar
I bought it right there. Great gun.
Steve

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
People finance boats, places, second homes, sports cars too and none of those are necessary.
Yep, you're right. And if their happy assuming the debt load more power to them. Me, not so much. The only thing I borrowed for other than my first home was the first few rental properties I bought. I just don't understand why someone would want to risk 10 or 15 thousand dollars on a gun that looses value the minute you buy it when anything could happen health wise or job related. If a person feels comfortable with that more power to them. I prefer to be able to pay for my toys and not risk misfortune possibly taking away from me.

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
Yep, you're right. And if their happy assuming the debt load more power to them. Me, not so much. The only thing I borrowed for other than my first home was the first few rental properties I bought. I just don't understand why someone would want to risk 10 or 15 thousand dollars on a gun that looses value the minute you buy it when anything could happen health wise or job related. If a person feels comfortable with that more power to them. I prefer to be able to pay for my toys and not risk misfortune possibly taking away from me.
I pay cash for cars and lose money the minute I drive them off the lot. Leasing is a better option…..perhaps.

Reactions: sdive2 and jk80

·
Registered
26,366 Posts
I still shoot the bt99 I cut my teeth with when I was 10
Late developer then Eh? Must have been quite a chore chewing your steak without teeth. Or did you just “gum it to death” like my great-uncle George?

hehehe

Here are some related products that Trapshooters Forum members are talking about.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts