Trapshooters Forum banner

Ever think of just quiting?

13K views 87 replies 51 participants last post by  docbombay 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a hectic year for me and I haven't shot a single registered target. I've been working on the move since March and I've been swamped with stock work so there is little time left for practice and traveling. When I do manage to get some free time, I'm playing with my airguns, which I'm really enjoying. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper being that I can buy a tin of 500 pellets for around $10 and still have 300 left at the end of the day.

But, then when I visit a registered shoot, I want to compete so badly I have to leave quickly or I'm overwhelmed with anxiety.

So that's how things have been. It's like an addiction I suppose, complete with painful withdrawals.

See you at the fall handicap, no doubt!

#3 · (Edited)
I can relate.
We moved over a year ago and are still way deep into the moving/building process.
I've had to skip all but one of the local registered shoots and only practice occasionally.
If I gave up trap for a year or so it would simplify things for me a lot.
That being said,I got out and shot yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. A 25 and a 23 got my head right back into the greatest shooting sport.
I guess I'll always have to make some time for it as long as I'm able.

No survivors
Bill

#4 ·
I started shooting trap in 1980, then took a 30 year hiatus due to work, had to eat and pay bills. Fast forward 2012 started to plan out retirement, had the money, will have the time, all set for enjoyment. Joined a club, bought a gun (sold and repeated till I got the right one) and have been retired and shooting, and having fun!
Just have to be patient, but enjoy when you can now. Steve

#6 ·
I was shooting sporting clay tournaments like it was my job and just got burned out. Bought a boat that lead to a bigger and better boat that lead to poker runs and so on, took a 7 year brake on shotguns. Then the economy turned over and I could no longer afford boats so Im back to shooting. Take a brake and don't feel bad about it, you will come back better and stronger.

get ya one of these and call me in the morning..........................

Attachments

#7 ·
So if a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into could you call a trap gun a hole in the air that you shove money through?

Sitting out tournaments for any reason while on the grounds is a frustrating experience. I've worked the last 4 major ( more than one day ) shoots up here and tried shooting one of them. Can't work and shoot too so waiting on a good resolution to eye problems was a good reason to concentrate on making the shoots go well for everyone else. Still major frustration at not being out there making smokeballs though.

DT

#35 ·
So if a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into could you call a trap gun a hole in the air that you shove money through?

Sitting out tournaments for any reason while on the grounds is a frustrating experience. I've worked the last 4 major ( more than one day ) shoots up here and tried shooting one of them. Can't work and shoot too so waiting on a good resolution to eye problems was a good reason to concentrate on making the shoots go well for everyone else. Still major frustration at not being out there making smokeballs though.

DT
Definitely a money pit for sure. I often thought about grinding up some money and loading in some shot shells. It's what we are all doing anyway in a sense. That said, I have had more fun in this sport than any other hobby I ventured in to. The people in this sport are the tipping point for me. Every shoot I go too, is like a mini family reunion.

#8 ·
Quiting NO ! but I don't shoot as much now. Neck and back issues. The traveling to shoots is what I don't like. The only clubs in the area that shoot with any regularity are 2 hours away. Wife still shoots a little but not nearly as much since she got older. The heat bothers her and she only shoots in the early spring and fall now mostly doubles. It's not as much fun when she isn't with me. Like all thing in my old age I take things in moderation. I am going to reduce my gun inventory this year and stream line some stuff. I have often wondered why some people who absolutely LOVED the sport just up and quit cold turkey! I do admit I am enjoying informal days at the club more and shooting less registered. All that said I still enjoy competition and will be doing it as long as health and finances allow I guess!

#10 ·
Trap is fun. However, we have all seen marriages destroyed, businesses lost, finances swept down the tubes -all because of an obsession with any sport or hobby, and that certainly includes trapshooting. And ask yourself this: How many guys do you know who have all the time and money to
shoot all they want, show up a a club or shoot looking like they're just going through the motions.

#16 ·
I quit over 2 years ago. I didn't want to but lost the desire. I don't shoot anything any more. Finally picked up my shotgun a few weeks ago for the first time in over a year.

I'm just staying busy with "honey do" jobs and other things. Just waiting until I get the urge to visit my local club again. Miss my friends but just not enough to visit a tournament.

Accepting suggestions on how to get the old desire back.

#18 ·
Slide Action said it right! Quitting, NO!!! However, during my working years, I had to spend quite a bit of time away from home - like three stints in Saudi Arabia working for various companies and some short times in other parts of the US and the Middle East. However, whenever I made it home, my shotguns, and other firearms got a workout. When assigned to a project in Midland, PA, I shot at Pittsburg with rented shotguns on the weekends I had to be there. When assigned to London, England, I still managed to buy a match air rifle to use in the house we rented and a 682 which I used at a club outside of London. Etc.

Johnpe

#19 ·
cold turkey quitting is easier than you think.
and its a good lesson.
the sport will go on without you.
and dont be too surprised that there wont be that many people wondering where you are either.
shooting is sometimes all shooters have in common. especailly in competition.
granted, many good relationships are born from shooting....but take out shooting and the number dwindles.
whenever a man is in control of his hobbies, hes a real man.
when you realize youre tired, frustrated, worn out, marriage suffering, or broke because of (a game,) its wise to quit. thats true control.
come back later? sure. but get your ducks in a row and know your cut off point and dont cross it.
you can only ride a roller coaster so many times before it gets boring or you puke.
and like one arm bandit pullers, some dont know how to stop and get consumed by their lust for, whatever it is.
besides, watching the merry go round spin is more fun than being on it sometimes. especailly when you get to see the others getting sick and by not being on it, you realize how sick you really were when it was you up there on that horse going up and down.
quitting is good.
and when you do come back answer these questions first....
1. what am i trying to achieve?
2. what will it take for me to achieve that goal?
3. once i achieve that goal, what will it do to me or for me?
4. how will it effect others around me?
if you cant, youre just wasting money and time aimlessly.
and thats what the sport wants you to do. $$$
some wisdom.

#85 ·
Great advice here. This will be my last year traveling to skeet tournaments. I did what I initially set out to do and I just don't have the burning desire to compete anymore. Add to that, new eye problems and a full work schedule. I'll be a Saturday fun shooter and that's fine with me.

#20 ·
Tron, I can relate to what you are saying on a few different levels. Im partners in a full line/full service music store where a lot of the time I ave. a 9-10 hr. day 6 days a week so there is not a lot of time left for shooting esp. in the summer when my audio system rental dept. gets busy or Im playing music in a couple of bands. It seems for me early spring and fall are the times where I have more time to hit early and late season registered shoots, so yes I have thought about going ok time to do something else but the bottom line is Im passionate about the sport and like to compete when I can so I hang with it and adjust my practice schedule.The other thing that I look at is that I have been on the the board of our local club for the last 16 years and at registered shoots I normally do squadding along with some other duties so it gives me a reason to be there regardless :) Shoot Well George

#22 ·
It baffles me how some guys just can't let go. Guys with bad physical conditions , emotional problems and financial problems just don't want to quit. Guys....there is life after shooting! Joe, you love fishing. It's relaxing and quiet. It is inexpensive.
Stick with the air guns and go fishin. Fantasize about ways of hit ting on da Hilderbeast.
:143:
Da DAWG NOSE

#23 ·
I guess we all have different ways of looking at it. Sometimes a break is good an of course if you are in a financial situation that does not allow you to shoot on a regular basis paying your bill and maintaining health and home is #1. ON the other side if feel the clay target sports espcecially trap is a great way for people from all different walks of life to participate in the clay target sports/young/old and older/woman ect. My dad is 82 and shooting trap gives him something to plan for/look forward to and be active 2 -3 times a week.He does not have any high expectations or crazy competitive urges he loves to shoot trap and it is one of the things that keeps him active.

#26 ·
Ex-wife thought shotgun shooting was "the other woman".

After 21 years of shooting competitions it became somewhat of a job. Somewhat of an addiction. Vision issues slowed me down too. Took a step back to view the world and decided to hunt, fish and moderate everything that I do. I still like to participate in some big shoots and casual practice.

"Never Quit", that is my credo. It was instilled by my high school football coach. Words to live by!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.