Trapshooters Forum banner

Ever get hosed by your own league?

1808 10
I won't name the league to avoid embarrassing anyone but here's what happened.
Our league admitted a new team into the fold to total 11 teams. I'd guess 400 shooters total.
I'm not a great shot but I average 23 or towards 24, but this year I'm breaking more birds with my new Browning 725.
Landing third overall in the top 50 in the league at week 7, and the top shooter in our club was new to me.
As of week 9 I'm still tied for fourth with a 24.143 average.
The new team folds and is abolished from the league.
All scores shot against this team are null and void according to our representative at the league meeting.
Here's what sucks:
My 25 that connects to my only 50 straight in a few years is gone along with a patch for it.
Others who shot worse scores against this team are rewarded by having as low as a 21 removed from their average.
Not all teams shot against the abolished team before the middle of our season.
Now at week 10 I'm bumped to 8th and six people above me had a lower score removed and improved their average.
To the more knowledgeable record keepers out there, is there a more fair way to adjust these scores without screwing some and rewarding others?
Thanks for any guidance,
gunr
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13,489 Posts
Don't worry about your league's average. You keep your own average. You are shooting against yourself anyway. If you currently have a 24+ average, then congrats to Ya. Keep up the good work. League's are League's. ATA average's are the real deal. Anyone can look up your score average and know your known ability.
Your League had to do what they did. Since their were many teams that never played this dismantled team!!! It would be wrong to penalize the teams that never got to play this team? would it not. So some shooters will take a hit while others will gain from the teams that did play them when there scores are dropped. It is, what it is. Sorry to hear you were on the losing end. This time!!! What comes around, goes around. You know that. Meanwhile, keep up the good work. Keep your mental edge sharp, the season isn't over yet. Use this to your advantage, and go out there and stay in the positive. Don't let this, spin you around and go the other way!!! The choice is yours. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all. Jeff

· Registered
894 Posts
Here's what I want you to do. After the league ends for the season, mark your calendar for 3 months. Then casually ask 3 people from the league, randomly chosen, what your score was. I guarantee none will know. Truth is, no matter where you are shooting (league, ATA, etc) NO ONE cares about your score except you. You are shooting for yourself. Yes, sometimes it matters because there is money on the line, but not very often. Most times, you are shooting for yourself. Never forget this, and just enjoy every shot.

· Registered
86 Posts
What they should have done is created a "bye week" for the teams that hadn't shot that team yet. Each team shooting the bye team would have to break their team average or above for a win. If they broke below their average it would count as a loss. Your individual averages would still count towards high gun. That is the way we handle it in a league I shoot in.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
As a wise old trap shooter once told me, if you shoot a good score nobody really cares and if you shoot a bad score they care even less.
You have a good average and good for you, keep shooting good and everything will shake out in the end

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to try even harder to keep my own average up.
Thanks DPort, I wondered if there was a way to address the issue without penalizing or giving advantage to individual shooters.

· Registered
7,537 Posts
If you are near the top, yes other shooters are watching because they want to beat you and they care what you shoot. You shot your 50 straight and deserve the patch, they may have abolished the scores from counting for the leagu, but can’t abolish your accomplishment. Tell them you earned and deserve the patch so keep it.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.