Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read the shortage of European ammo is due to a shortage of smokeless powder in Europe. And that shortage is cause by a shortage of cellulose because the wood by-products used to produce cellulose are going to produce wood based fuel for heating.

I understand that US powder uses nitrocellulose derived from wood. I beleive the European nitrocellulose is derived mostly from cotton, consequently its usually cleaner burn.

·
Registered
147 Posts
To Nebs. Yes as powders increase or slow up in burn rate will take the felt recoil over a longer or shorter time period. When I shoot some Clever ammo it becomes quite apparent at least to me the difference is either type of powder or the weight of the powder charge. I am not sure what their specific powder is or how it is manufactured. I try to shoot mostly 1 1/8 oz, but beggars can't be choosey. Some shells at different velocities have a very loud report others have a much quieter report. I am just curious of what type of powder the europeans are using, for sure, no speculation.
Just a little different subject: I had an opportunity to acquire several flats of Hull ammo. Made in the UK & apparently very popular there. They have a fiber wad not the plastic that we have become accustomed to. Shooting several flats of these Hull 12 gauge shells for me had a remarkable sensation of lessen felt recoil. These were straight wall hulls with a fiber base wad. The shells were listed as 1oz at 1260FPS. I was advised that these shells are only allowed on private estates for hunting and SC as the wads are fiber & do not create an adverse eco effect on the countryside. Well anyway my personal observations.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
To Nebs. Yes as powders increase or slow up in burn rate will take the felt recoil over a longer or shorter time period. When I shoot some Clever ammo it becomes quite apparent at least to me the difference is either type of powder or the weight of the powder charge. I am not sure what their specific powder is or how it is manufactured. I try to shoot mostly 1 1/8 oz, but beggars can't be choosey. Some shells at different velocities have a very loud report others have a much quieter report. I am just curious of what type of powder the europeans are using, for sure, no speculation.
Just a little different subject: I had an opportunity to acquire several flats of Hull ammo. Made in the UK & apparently very popular there. They have a fiber wad not the plastic that we have become accustomed to. Shooting several flats of these Hull 12 gauge shells for me had a remarkable sensation of lessen felt recoil. These were straight wall hulls with a fiber base wad. The shells were listed as 1oz at 1260FPS. I was advised that these shells are only allowed on private estates for hunting and SC as the wads are fiber & do not create an adverse eco effect on the countryside. Well anyway my personal observations.
Are you saying you felt less recoil with Cleavers?

·
Premium Member
6,583 Posts
To Nebs. Yes as powders increase or slow up in burn rate will take the felt recoil over a longer or shorter time period.
You are aware that these "longer or shorter time periods" to which you are refer are measured in milliseconds, time period-differences too short for the human nervous system to perceive, aren't you.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
100 person blind test was conducted.
Each participant was given A and B shell to shoot 10 time, never in the same order. 3 people managed to guess correctly which shell was loaded with Red Dot & Which was loaded with Green Dot more that 50% of the time.
Lucky guess?
You decide, 100 people, 97 Incorrect more than 50% of the time.
The myth was debunked!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts