Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the thread about ATA speeds that has been up on the forum for a while.
I happen to read an article this week about some of the newest shells that are available in Europe.
Eley's new DTL Gold trap shells have a speed of 1235 FPS for a 1oz [28grms] these shells are 5 % Antimony.
Just about any place outside of North America the load for domestic trap is 1oz. Olympic Bunker and Olympic Skeet are of course limited to 24 grms or just under 7/8oz.
Not all the Euro shells are really fast, but some are: The latest Fiocchi F skeet shells are 1340FPS which is not super fast. I think that a lot of the sporting clay shells tend to be in the 1400 to 1500FPS and most makes are available with a plastic or a fiber wad. A lot of shooting grounds that are in rural farming areas do not allow plastic wads, because animals ingest them and it can cause them to die.
Its all food for thought.
Devonian.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Are the 1400-1500fps loads 1 oz?
Any idea of patterning differences with shells not using the one piece plastic wads?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Available in the USA

1 Ounce Loads

Fiocchi was a leader when 1 ounce shells frst started gaining popularity many years ago. As more and more shooters move away from the old standard 1 1/8 ounce and discover the benefts of 1 ounce loads, Fiocchi leads the industry with a wide selection of 1 ounce shells designed to minimize recoil and maximize target crushing impacts. You’ll really notice the diference over long events with less shooter fatigue and better scores. Our famous Crusher load does just that-1 ounce at 1300 feet per second (12CRSR) is a well known target load to sporting clays shooters who demand the best balance of long range performance and low recoil. Due to shooter demand, we began ofering also our Super Crusher, a 1 ounce shell at 1400 feet per second (12SCRS). Fiocchi also ofers 12 gauge 1 ounce loads at 1150 (12TL), 1170 (12SD1L), 1200 (12SD1H), and 1250 (12TX-“Little Rino”) feet per second oferings. And let’s not forget our 1 ounce Spreader (12CPTR-useful in semi-autos who can’t change chokes between shots on station like over/under or side by side shooters can).

1 1/8 Ounce Loads

Fiocchi ofers a wide selection of “ ballistic recipes “ aimed at the target shooters who prefer the 1 1/8 ounce load of shot in their shells. Our engineers and ballisticians have found the right combination of components to minimize recoil while maximizing performance of these shells. Shooting Dynamics shells are available in 1165 (12SD18L) and 1200 (12SD18H) feet per second loadings. Exacta 1 1/8 ounce loads include our long-popular White Rino at 1250 feet per second (12WRNO-well known for long range target crushing performance without the recoil usually associated with 1 1/8 ounce shells) and new from last year our faster Super White Rino (12SWRN) at 1400 feet per second. Handicap shooters have long-favored our White Rino for long distance trap and Sporting Clays shooters like it for those far away targets as well. Tree Gun Shooters using autoloading shotguns will likely prefer any of our 1 1/8 ounce loads at or above 1200 feet per second to ensure positive shotgun function during the demanding courses of fre they ofen see on the Tree Gun circuit including small and large reactive steel targets.

Kent
K122VF28-7.5 12G 2 3/4″ 1450 1 oz. 7.5

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having shot several hundred Fiber Wad shells on different trips to the UK, I find them a little more open than plastic wads and they have a little more recoil in an effort to meet the same ballistics as Plastic wads. They do get the job done!! I find the gun barrels a little harder to clean as the fiber wad leave a slight build up in the barrel. But a good scrub will fix any issues with the wads. For longer sporting targets I will use #7 shot in fiber wad where I would use 7.5 or 8's with plastic.
Devonian.
PS. Thanks for the extra info Joe. Those Kent 28grms work well as do the Gamebore White and Black Gold.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
Part of the question, though, is where do they measure those published velocities? The Euro shells makers do not necessarily follow SAAMI standards, so each manufacturer can use whatever measurement method they want.

If they are measured at the muzzle, they are numerically higher than if they measured at 3 feet from the muzzle.

Not sure you can compare them directly.

Reactions: grntitan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts