Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1960-vintage Browning Broadway that I almost sold like an idiot. I'm past that crisis now and am considering adding an adjustable comb and butt plate. I have the original stock which doesn't fit me at all and an Anton stock which fits me very well, just not perfectly. I would have no reservations in sending out the Anton stock, but I'm wondering if I should keep the factory Broadway stock in factory configuration (and never use it) and send out the Anton stock for modification. Or, sell the Anton stock and use that money to modify the factory stock? This Broadway is a nice shotgun and so I wonder if I would be committing 'sacrilige' if I modified the factory stock? Thanks for your opinions.

LA

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's your gun, so you can do whatever you like. If it were mine, I'd keep the original stock in original condition, and use whatever modified stock you like. You may like another stock better and shoot it better, but it will always be worth more with the original stock.

That way there's no ethics question at all.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The real question is do you ever want to be able to sell it for max dollars. If you do, keep the original pristeen. Logic would dictate that since the Anton stock is close to ideal for you,shoot with it and save the original.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,249 Posts
There was a local guy here who had a beautiful original Winchester Model 21 Skeet gun and he had a friend of mine cut a comb into it. I was pissed when I seen it and went to my friends house who did the work and he told me that if I had ever told anyone what he did, he would kick my ass. True story.

The guy also had an original Remington 32 Skeet gun in flawless condition that he did the same thing to. I wanted to kill him.

If you want an adjustable comb on a colector gun, get another stock!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Tron is kidding right? I don't understand what you think these guns will be "worth" someday. Not to say it's not a nice gun Porcupine just that not every gun made will be a collector gun someday- Dan

·
Vendor
19,787 Posts
Pegging this problem as an ethical one is like saying that it violates your morals.

Guns have no ethics.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
...and apparently, neither do Presbyterians! lol

Seriously, although there's no "hard" ethics violation here, many do consider it a violation of "gentlemens' etiquette." By that code, we don't really "own" guns...we "lease them for a while" from the brotherhood.

Remember, when you own a gun, what you really mean is - you own it, for the present time. In the long run, we're all dead, and would hopefully like to leave these pieces the way we found them, but for some well-earned user wear. When you experience the joy of one of these pieces coming your way, it's because there were likely multiple former owners who exercised some judgement and impulse-control during the time they owned it. I certainly appreciate that, when I get one, and don't intend to break the chain.

You're not violating ethics by cutting these guns up...you're just being a perposterous ass, that's all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would cut up the Anton first if it will fit you the best. I wouldn't cut up a Henry or a Sharps- unless I needed better scores with them... ;) Dan

·
Registered
419 Posts
I understand not cutting the original stock, I would have a hard time doing that. Just one thing to think about, depending on the Anton wood it could be quite valuable and rather scarce. Buy another factory used stock and cut it. Just my way of thinking. JIM

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
if you wanted to modify a Holland & Holland or a Purdey...well that would put you in line for some scorn, but I wouldn't worry about your Broadway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I always get another stock when I want to modify stock dimensions.
To my surprise when I am tired of the modified stock I always seem
to get my money back. For me it is not just the value of the original
stock it is keeping the gun original-it seems harder to find guns
that are original today.

Joe

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Today there is little Collector value in a used Superposed trap gun They seem to fetch about $1500. If you have two stocks then cut the anton you can always sell the anton with a comb on it good luck if you want to sell the origional stock with an adj comb it will hurt it's value. I am surprised at how low a superposed will sell for they cost a fortune new and across the pond they sell for twice as much as here!

Joe

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think of it more as whether or not you are destroying history.

I am converting my 1940 Ithaca 37R into a trap gun by giving it a high comb stock and a more substantial forend. I am also having it reblued because the good honest wear to the finish on the receiver was unappealing.

This gun is a first year of manufacture for the 37R, but there is not a lot of history in the worn out finish.

On the other hand, the busted up stock and the excellent condition forend have spectacular hand checkering that is worth saving so that I and others in the future can see what hand checkering on a production gun was all about.

For this reason any refinishing of the stock or forend will leave the checkering alone.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I view it as Restoration vs Alteration.

If you have a very nice piece thats worth a good sum you might want to leave it alone.

On the other hand if you were to attain a good piece, say a Parker that needs help, Del Greco is the man to send it to. It will come back as factory new.

Just my opinions

Regards....Gerald

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.