Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say up front I prefer Remington hulls when I can get them: STS, Gun Club, doesn't matter- they all seem to load well and work well with 1 oz loads and Claybuster wads (12 ga).

I have seen posts and discussions about the cheapo Estate target hulls, of using data for Federal Gold Medal with them- so I loaded a couple of those after today's round of shooting. The Lyman recipe for 700X (I'm out of Red Dot and can't get any, else I'd be using that) and the WAA12SL and CB-1100-12 doesn't take up enough room-- caved-in crimps. So I grabbed a gray WAA12L 7/8 wad and that does work as far as a decent crimp with 18.5 avg 700X (MEC #29). That's within Lyman's load data for the Federal Gold Medal, but they call out the WAA12SL wad, and it's too short for that in these Estate hulls.

Now, in normal times I would not even bother trying to load Estate hulls-- but these are not normal times and my stash of STS and Gun Club is not going to last forever. I figure the Estates may not last more than 3-4 loadings but that's better than being out of usable hulls.

What's the opinion of those who have loaded these hulls, and what do you think of substituting the wad? I have always loaded By The Book, but if you can't get what the book says...

· Premium Member
3,703 Posts
What's the opinion of those who have loaded these hulls, and what do you think of substituting the wad?
I've loaded lots of Estates and they are fine.
Use a wad designed for straight walled hulls . (not what you used)
There are fiber base wad and plastic basewad Estates. The newer plastic base wad hulls have more volume and usually need a taller wad... (you found that out)

· Registered
3,050 Posts
With the shells that you have loaded do not subject them bumps and vibrations. The powder could migrate around the base wad. I don't think 700X is really fine grained but just to be careful. Shoot them up right away and don't take them back and forth to and from the range.

My bad experience was with Win ball powder in Fed hulls with WinAA wads. The test load worked fine on the skeet range. But after carrying them around in the bird vest pocket, I stated to get bloopers. Even saw some with a lot of powder through the hull plastic.

Jason

· Registered
578 Posts
Straight Wall & Import Style
CB6100-12
CB6100-12 (-)
For use in 7/8 to 1 oz. Trap, skeet, sporting clay or hunting loads. Designed for Federal and all Imports.

Optimum load is 1 oz.
CB6118-12
CB6118-12 (-)
For use in 1 to 1-1/8 oz. Trap, skeet, sporting clays or hunting loads. Designed for Federal and all Imports.

Optimum load is 1-1/8 oz.

· Registered
70 Posts
We have loaded many Estate hulls, fiber base and plastic wads, with Clays, Clay Dot and American Select all with the 12SO style wads for years on a RCBS Grand. We keep fps under 1200.
At least to us it is a very soft load. My wife can shoot 300 a day and I never hear a concern about recoil.
I do like the aroma of the fiber based hulls after shooting. Wish Federal would continue that hull.

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Rick, I bet if you can get some Gun Cubs they'd load much better than Estates with your AA wads.
Oh, they do- and that's what I usually load. But I have not seen any new shells on the shelves in my area for weeks now and the hulls I have already have been loaded several times. And I do have a couple hundred AA HS hulls. I'm looking for a way to use these hulls.

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the shells that you have loaded do not subject them bumps and vibrations. The powder could migrate around the base wad. I don't think 700X is really fine grained but just to be careful. Shoot them up right away and don't take them back and forth to and from the range.

My bad experience was with Win ball powder in Fed hulls with WinAA wads. The test load worked fine on the skeet range. But after carrying them around in the bird vest pocket, I stated to get bloopers. Even saw some with a lot of powder through the hull plastic.

Jason

Well at the moment I have loaded exactly two shells with Estate hulls so that's not so much of an issue. I'm making note of the suggestions here, and prefer to load 1 oz loads given the scarcity of shot right now.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
+1 for the CB6100 wad if you are making one ounce shells Use at least 17.5 gr of 700X. Don't be afraid to go 18.5 or a little more. That is a REALLY low pressure combination even at 18.5 gr. (8500 psi) when using a W209 primer.
You need a lot of powder to get the pressure up for a clean consistent burn. It is a fast shell that will do 1250 fps or better with 18.5 grains. If recoil is a problem a bigger fluffy power will work better.
Something about that wad produces really low pressures. I had a one ounce load with 19.1 grains of Clays tested. Results had it at 1276 fps and only 7842 psi. (This was in a Top Gun hull with the white plastic base / should be the same as an Estate)

· Registered
296 Posts
Oh, they do- and that's what I usually load. But I have not seen any new shells on the shelves in my area for weeks now and the hulls I have already have been loaded several times. And I do have a couple hundred AA HS hulls. I'm looking for a way to use these hulls.
RickC,

You've got everything you need to reload those AA HS hulls; WAA12SL/CB-1100-12 wads and 17gr of 700X. Been loading them for years.

Don

· Registered
473 Posts
The hulls are reloadable. Putting together components that are not compatible or not tested is just stupid.
Did I say use the wrong components? I dont list components I use because there is always a keyboard expert that has to comment on them right or wrong . So comment else where

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.