Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been through the Clinton gun ban, Obama craze, Gov Northam spree and now CoVid 19 buying rush made me think about what powders were multipurpose and smart to keep stocked. Don’t want to buy 8 lbs of something only good for one application!

What powders do you think are essential to keep on hand?

My thoughts are: RedDot for 12ga, 20/28 for those 2, and 300MP for 410. I also load for handgun, and there are loads for 9mm with RedDot, and 45 colt and 22 hornet with 300 MP.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think you should look at it in terms of "I'd like to have enough for each gauge/caliber for _____ (days/months years)" and stock accordingly. E3 takes care of 12 and all my sport pistols. We don't shoot enough of anything else to worry.

K

·
Registered
486 Posts
All the powders I use :) seriously though I try to have an unopened 8lb of e3, be86, and varget at all times as that accounts for probably 90% of what I shoot. It might not hold me through a long drought but hopefully until I can find more.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I’m never short on powder, primers or wads. Just get low on shot sometimes but my version of low would be down to having two bags not opened.

I should try to get two or three guys go in on a pallet full.

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
If you are talking shotgun only, I don't think 3 powders are needed, only 1. Take a look at what you shoot the most of and stock that powder. For me, it would probably be a fast-burning shotgun powder on the order of Red Dot, Clays, Promo, Titewad, Nitro 100. Plenty of any one of those would work for me for a long time. Or, if powder supplies get short again, any or all of them would work. The last powder shortage taught me to be flexible and shoot whatever I could lay my hands on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Clays, unique, h110, 2400, universal clays and re15
With those i can keep a 12 a 410 a 20 a 375HnH and a 22 250 runninig. But thats a fraction of the powders I use.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Unique will keep most of the guages going and several pistol calibers. While possibly not optimum, it keep them running.

Rifle if you have several calibers in different potency will be more difficult.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Titewad, Unique and Win296. H or IMR 4895, 4831, 4350. 4895 and Varget are probably the most versatile, but not optimum for some calibers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I get 12+ flats of 12 gauge shells out of a 8# jug of either Clay Dot or Red Dot.

1 of each on hand is enough.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
700X
Red Dot
Bullseye
HS5
Unique
Blue Dot
Tightgroup

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Clays. Works for 12 guage, and even worked for 45 ACP during the Obama fiasco.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts