Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making jerky this week. Second batch is in the dehydrator as I type this. Made 10lbs of goose burger into Sweet & Spicy flavor for the first batch. Second batch is in now, Original Blend and have 10lbs venison burger thawing to make into hickory flavor. I'd be in the deer blind this morning but the wind is not in my favor today for my spot but should be Wednesday along with an expected first snowfall of the year so taking advantage of the shift in winds to process some of our harvest before getting back out there. When I do I'll be trying to fill one of my tags using my Great Grandfathers first year production Winchester Model 64 .30WCF(30-30) Deer Rifle... ;)

Audio equipment Wood Gas Electronic device Machine
Hood Netbook Wood Electronic instrument Automotive exterior
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Beef
Tarpaulin Tent Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Sky Tree Natural landscape Wood Twig
Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey bud, good looking stuff, got a batch of hickory moose mixed and resting overnight in the fridge as we speak, can't hunt tomorrow as I have my monthly blood tests so thought I should do up a batch of jerky, hate to waste the day, update at 5:45 this morning it's ready to turn on, 5 1/2 hrs and it will be ready for the QA, QC taste test 😋
Brown Food Stairs Product Shelf

·
Registered
934 Posts
Now that’s a professional set up. 🥳
would love to know your marinades .
some jerky just contains too much salt.
I don't use a marinade as such but rather use the Cabela's jerky kits, they come 3 packages of seasoning and 3 packages of jerky cure per box, 1 package of each will do 5 lbs of meat but that makes it a bit strong for my liking so I use about 7 lbs of ground meat as it's easier to chew. I dissolve 1 package of seasoning and 1 package of cure in 1 cup of warm water and pour it over the meat, mix it good and let it sit in the fridge overnight, that allows the flavor to settle in and it also firms it up a bit and goes through the gun better, the next morning run it through the jerky gun and 5 1/2 hrs @160 degrees in the dehydrator and it's a done deal. I have it narrowed down to the 3 favorite flavors according to the grandkids liking, Hickory, Teriyaki, and Cracked Black Pepper and Garlic.
I have been cranking out about 300 lbs per year now for the last 4 years and my little 10 tray Cabela's dehydrator is still going strong. the link below is to the seasoning packs I use. They have a couple new flavors out that I have not tried yet, Prime Rib and Sweet and Hot I plan on getting some to try next time I'm there.

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well that was easy...50 minutes into my sit tuesday morning this buck decided to step in front of the blind. Was going to let him pass and hold out for something bigger but then I could hear my Grandfather's words in my head, "Antlers make thin soup" so I decided to put meat in the freezer and lifted my rifle to my shoulder and fired. 12 yard shot with the 270...the third photo was taken looking at the blind from where the deer was standing when I shot him. Had I thought one would offer up such a close opportunity I'd have brought Gramps fathers' Model 64 30WCF....I guess I should have known. We've taken three from that blind and the farthest shot to date has been 18 yards....oh well next time. More venison jerky coming up shortly! The last photo is the farmer whose land I hunt offered to haul the deer back to my truck for me! :giggle: Took a Mulie doe a few days before. I'll be taking the old 64 with me this morning, my wife will have the 270. We have one more WT tag, three more antlerless Mule deer tags and an antlerless Moose tag left between us. Going to try to see if we can fill one more this weekend. Wednesday I go in for a hernia surgery so that is going to cut our season short one week.:cry:
Snow Freezing Winter Twig Tail
Snow Freezing Dog breed Tail Winter
Plant Natural landscape Snow Tree Twig
Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle Plant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts