Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw 3 guns with beautiful engraving. Galeazzi, Pisatti, and Petelli. Anybody familiar with their work?

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
check these folks

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have a box-lock Perugini/Visini 20 Ga. SxS which is my present bird gun. It is signed along the lower tang at the trigger guard by Patelli. It has Bulino engraving of a flaring bird on the bottom of the frame and floral engraving everywhere else. It is beatifully executed. I believe that there were a small number of this exact gun produced - about 6 or so.

I believe that Galeazzi (sic) was considered the grand master and that he has since passed away. Guns engraved and signed by him are highly valued and very expensive.

There are many gun manufacturers who do not have in-house engravers. There is a group in Italy called "Inscisione de Italia" which does engraving for many of fine gun builders. Their signed work often enhances the price (value?) of the gun beyond just the engraving itself.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I handled a collection of guns (perhaps 8 or 10) that were on consignment at Griffin and Howe a number of years ago which were engraved by the great Mario Abbiatico, he of FAMARS fame. They were done in the Bulino style and were nothing short of breathtaking.

I also saw a number of photos of Luciano Bosis guns which were engraved with beautiful women in XXX rated poses.

·
Vendor
2,108 Posts
Angelo Galeazzi was a renowned engraver before his death.

I believe his daughter is engraving now and does very nice work. Her engraved signature is different from his.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a friend that has a comp one Perazzi that was done by Galeazzi. Exhibition grade stock. I believe there were two of these. He is considering selling this collectors item.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was very impressed with Pisatti engraving.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,330 Posts
Put Iora pretty high on the list as well. I had a Black Diamond Grade IV O/U when I imported the line which Dr Franco Beretta had Iora engrave for me. Very simple exquisite work.

Mike Mann

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here is an interesting article on some of the better engravers in Italy.....and the "Fausti" girls..........

http://www.barryleehands.com/an_american_engraver_in_brescia.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts