1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found an 1100 which I can't identify. It has nice engraving with gold inlays. Top of the receiver has a crown. Nowhere is a name of an engraver. I kind of think it was a special model because the serial number is a special even number such as 500000.Therefore I don't think it is a random gun someone picked up and had engraved.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Upgraded Gun....Can Clearly See the Roll Cut Standard Pattern Under Areas of Gold Inlays...With That Said..It is Fabulous Work Added to a Factory Standard Gun.
Custom Shop Guns..Start as Slab Side Blanks.
Would be Happy to Own this Gun.
Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends. Bart

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it is not mine but I can buy it. A lady wanted me to buy it from her but I don't know what it is worth. Her late husband told her only a couple were made but I see there were more than that. It's kind of unique that the serial number is exactly an even hundred thousand increment. So did an engraver ask Remington to sell them a blank receiver with let's say a 500,000 serial number or was it available from the Remington custom shop. I think she said her husband paid $3000 for it. I don't want to steal it from her but I don't want to pay retail for it either...

·
Registered
259 Posts
No it is not mine but I can buy it. A lady wanted me to buy it from her but I don't know what it is worth. Her late husband told her only a couple were made but I see there were more than that. It's kind of unique that the serial number is exactly an even hundred thousand increment. So did an engraver ask Remington to sell them a blank receiver with let's say a 500,000 serial number or was it available from the Remington custom shop. I think she said her husband paid $3000 for it. I don't want to steal it from her but I don't want to pay retail for it either...
Hey shotgun you should buy this gun, its got to be worth $2500/$2800 you could pay that for a D grade and this looks to be F grade. Although my D grade guns the engraving is more sharp cut not rolled. Very nice gun. What's the wood like?
barrel length and choke?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's 30" fixed choke. The wood is very well figured but not over the top. It is in 99% condition. As I said I don't want to be unfair to the widow but I don't want be unfair to myself. If she sent it to a dealer they are probably only going to offer $2000 or less because they see a sale at $2700 or $2800. Tough to explain that to her because her husband paid $3500.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
All you can do is offer what it is worth to you, and let het decide if she wants to sell it for that. You could also suggest getting an offer from a dealer, like Cabelas Gun Library.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Cabelas will be a low offer.
That should let her know the low side.
It's got to be tough for her and I feel for her.
What he paid and market value now may be a hard thing to see.
George

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Agree with flabigpapa that it is an aftermarket engraving job. Nice enough for sure. The serial number is a mystery. There was no avenue for anyone (except perhaps a high-level manager, CEO type in Remington) to order a particular serial number. And as noted, if it would have been through the Custom Shop for engraving, there would not have been the heavy roll mark 'engraving' on the receiver. The gold birds obviously were put in on top of the factory roll mark. Perhaps the serial number was not noted in time to stop the roll being added, someone noticed and then requested the purchase. No real way to tell unless the Custom Shop has a record. In any event I do not believe the engraving was done in Ilion, but could be wrong.

If you call Remington, they can tell you when it was made, but unless there is some other record, that is all that can be determined.

Scott Hanes

·
Premium Member
10,495 Posts
If you can verify that the auction value, stated earlier, I'd use it ... show her and offer no more.

It's not a new gun nor a custom shop gun. The value is not likely to rise much, if at all.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
If you can afford/want it, You should get it,
Often times since it was her late husbands someone is going to get it ( non shooting family member ) and it will go to a danged pawn shop.

DGH

And on edit I think its a very pretty 1100

1 - 18 of 18 Posts