Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about using electronic hearing protection. I have the little ear plugs with a string between them. I am 70 now and I am having a hearing problem in my upper range. There are lots of these hearing protection using electronics. I have tried to use Amazon to see how the remarks rank them but a lot have only one or two comments with 5 stars.

What manufacturer has good long lasting units? What do you guys wear at the range?

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Can't do better than ESP:
Electronic Shooters Protection: Digital Hearing Protection

If you go get a hearing test and take that data to ESP they will tune the electronics to help out deficiencies you have in your normal hearing. Hearing aid and ear plug in one.

If I turn them up beyond 3/4s of the way though I start to hear issues with the trap machine in the house and the guys ejectors the next field over.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've got three different pairs/brands of the electronic hearing protection. I use them for rifle and pistol shooting with no problem but for shotgun I don't like them as the stock hits the ear pad. Plus in the summer heat and humidity in south Jersey they are just to hot to wear IMHO. In the low cost range under $50 the Howard Leight are as good as any and are pretty comfortable.

I typically will use them in combination with the squishy foam inserts shooting fast rifle rounds such as 223 and higher. I've found people shoot "jerky" from both recoil and loud/fast sounds. The combination still allows you to hear but really attenuates the rifle blasts tricking the brain into thinking it's not nearly as loud. For something like a 223 it brings the sound down to match the recoil which isn't much. Shotguns while loud are are more of a thump and not that fast "whack" sound.

My dad wears hearing aids and if he isn't using electronics I can't talk to him while shooting as he takes the hearing aids out before shooting. Not as much a problem at trap as it's not a "talking" at the line type of shooting. He too doesn't wear muffs while shooting trap as the muffs hit the stock for him also.

Back on topic, if you presently shoot shotgun with any type of over the ear muffs you probably will like the electronic muffs.

What I'd suggest is to check out at the range what some other people are using. Strike up a conversation with anyone you see using an electronic pair. Most shooters will offer to let you use their muffs for a round or two.

Carlo

·
Registered
791 Posts
Be careful with the cheaper electronic units. They have lower NRR ratings than most plugs.
Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff, Classic Green (R-01526) - 22 NRR
Walker's Game Ear Razor Slim Electronic Muff - 23 NRR

I have tennitis and used cheaper electronic unit once with a shotgun. Flared it up on me.
I now use the silicone plugs for non-ported shotguns and rifles and silicone plus muffs for ported and handguns.
I believe Howard Leight has an electronic muff with a higher NRR rating for a little more than their entry level (~$65).
Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff (R-01902) - 30 NRR.
Just an FYI,
George

·
Registered
125 Posts
Losing my hearing over here. Having had my bell rung too many times in the blind has cost a lot. I've used quite a few headsets, then moved to silicone custom plugs. Unfortunately I was only able to get one decent set made - all other custom efforts to fit my ogre ears have failed. As a last resort, my current plan is to use ear plugs (the cheapie orange ones) along with a sound deadening set of vintage Peltors. The Leight versions may end up a buy relatively soon if they don't bump my stock.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,767 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...d=1472206523&sr=8-2&keywords=electronic+muffs

I've been wearing these for about five months. I like them because I don't have to take them off when waiting to shoot, you know that time while you're standing with your squad waiting your turn and everyone wants to chit-chat and you keep pulling your plug and saying "what"? They also have an auto-off feature that will turn them off if not used for a while which will save the batteries. I turn them off on the line because I enjoy silence and it helps me focus on the voices in my head. The sound is good and if anything, they can be turned up too loud. I have tinnitus that never subsides so sharp noises stick in my head. If they are all the way up you can cup your hands over the muff and get feedback so I'll crank them up, cup my hands and lower the volume until the feedback disappears and leave them at that volume until I hear "squad ready" then I'll turn them off. Adjustments only take seconds and they stay where you put them on your head. I always wear with a ball cap and never have an issue with fit. Wind rush isn't too bad due to the foam covered mics.
I have no issues with stock interference but I don't crowd my stock either. They are low profile which I'm sure helps. They are not the greatest in hot weather, like most all muffs. When the temps push past 80 with high humidity its not uncommon for them to come off immideatly following the last shot. You will sweat in them. The upside, ears won't get as cold come winter!

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
MSA Sordin. Works great, batteries are not next to the skin where sweat ruins the system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts