Trapshooters Forum banner

Electronic fencing for dogs.

2062 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  gaengineer
I’m seeing adds for dog containment that is basically a wire around the yard and a collar on the dog that shocks when too close to the wire. Another is electronic and wireless. Seems it wouldn’t take much out of adjustment on these to make the dog afraid to leave the house. They seem to be popular with city folks. My dad always said it wasn’t fair to the dog to confine them too tight. They needed room to run.

What do you guys say?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
Some of them will fence in 100 acres. Ought to be enough. Most give a tone as the dog approaches a boundary. If it keeps going it will get "stimulation". The range is adjustable to some degree. Almost all the collars have varying levels of stimulation. Sportdog for example has seven levels ranging from just vibrating the collar up to 6 more levels of stimulation. The dogs are pretty easily trained to the boundary using white flags as the visual. I know a lot of people that use them and like them.

· Registered
36,840 Posts
Old tech.how they have GPS systems that you use your phone to set boundaries and no need for anything else besides the collor.

Reactions: flashmax

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,688 Posts
Have one to protect our dog from running out to the road that runs by our property. She will go within a couple feet of the boundary but never pushes it. Just keeps her from chasing a deer or skunk 5 counties over. At this point, she doesn’t even need the collar. It has conditioned her to where to stop.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
They work great for some dogs and less great for others. I am referring to the kind with a wire.
One of my dogs knew he was going to get shocked, so he would run as fast as he could and jump through the shock zone only getting zapped once. I would hear a slight bark when he went through. I would hear it or see him beyond the boundry and go yell for him to get back into the yard. By and large, he was a very obedient dog. He would run as fast as he could back to the house and jump through the shock zone only getting zapped once.
The dogs figure it out quickly. If we had the shock zone turned too far up the dogs would get zapped from the wire that was strung along the eave of the house as they walked outside. They would belly crawl through the back door, away from the house so not to get shocked. Once they were away from house they were up and running again.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
I ran a wire all around my 5 acres, My farm dog respected it very well unless he smelled "something" he had interest in!,, We had a neighbor (City move country) that her lab pup was sprinkling all my property, My male was OK with that while it was her pup, as he aged it became a Problem, There was a dog rolling around fight that I was able to call off! Bitch called Dog Warden, they showed up! While we were talking i was throwing toy for retrieves. I threw past the boundary and my guy stopped and came back to me.
Dog warden asked, Do you have an electric fence? I said yes!, She said issue resolved!
I asked if her dog trespasses onto my property can I handle it in the country manner?
I was told if I am in fear, anything goes! Next time she came by i went out to talk to her...
and very Politely IN RON WHITE words, if your dog EVER comes onto my property you will carry it home!
Problem solved!

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,688 Posts
Neighbor has two Westies and they put one in. Dogs run right through it chasing squirrels and then won't come back in the yard scared to get shocked.
Invisible fence fixed that so they don’t get shocked when they come back in. The older ones still have that. Not a great function.

· Registered
543 Posts
No experience with the radio wireless ones, They worry me some but my layout wouldn't work well with a radius perimeter anyways. I do use geo fencing on the Garmin Alpha but only for tone alerts. Had an English Setter that blew past 1K yards while just getting warmed up.

My FIL had them for more 30 years and I helped him put quite a few in he was an electrical contractor and bought then fixed up homes then flipped them in his "spare" time. 5-20 acres and I ran a trenching tool on quite a few of his places. And dug and laid wire by hand.

Learned a lot from doing his. Don't bother with the cheap wire that comes with them. Outdoor junction boxes on posts just above ground every so often with wire nuts so that you can jumper them to find a break if you get one. Twist the wire on the runs near the house to the perimeter so that there is no signal to mess the dogs up. And more than a few other things.

They aren't magic and like anything takes a lot of training. Think some people rush the training too fast. I spend a couple of months when they are young walking the boundaries, only have 1 acre fenced in that I did 21 years ago. I really think having them grow up with it from the get go helps a lot. All 3 of my Tollers grew up with it and never had a problem. Although youngest is only 7 months old and I still don't trust him his prey drive is crazy high, and he is just plain crazy too. Time will tell.

When I first moved in the family dog was a beagle\Springer mix she was ~6 then. If a bunny came in the yard she would bust through it and her baying would turn to a yelp as she got zapped but she would keep on going. Figured out pretty quickly it wasn't going to work for her, beagles tend to have a mind of their own anyhow. So I gave up on the collar and fence with her and built plenty of brush piles to make sure had lots of bunnies to run.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cheap one NO.
The good ones, he'll yes.
some have enough power, to put you dog on the ground. Then there are other tricks that can be used.
He’s asking about children. HeH. They would work but you’d get visited by cps.

Reactions: Russ-in-Pa

· Registered
36,840 Posts
He’s asking about children. HeH. They would work but you’d get visited by cps.
Government does not like it when parents abuse their children, government does not like competition.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
With the above system, you can have up to 30 total feet, 15 either side of the wire, with continuous stimulation. There is not a dog that I've ever heard of, that is going to penetrate that width of a zone. This is one of the differences in the types of systems available.
Also note that there are 8 levels of stimulation, from barely a tingle to Holy S_ _T!
When it comes to e-fence's, you really get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.