Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have used ProEars for about 12 years now. They have a low profile cup for easy mounting and can allow you to hear everything while the shooting is going on. They don’t cut out the sound. They reduce the loud sound while still allowing the normal level sound to continue. You could have a normal level conversation and hear every word while a whole bunch of people are shooting. It’s nice. And you’re not yelling.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have been using Peltor for 20 years plus and I have two different sets the deep and heavier ones I use in winter for trap and a lighter pair that I use for skeet and sporting. Always buy good equipment or the very best you can afford when it comes to your hearing and eye protection. You only get one chance as there are no replacement parts for your ears or eyesight.
Devonian.

·
Registered
34,277 Posts
What was the name of the ear bud type that came in a recharging case? Someone posted about these a few months ago.

There are several offerings.E.A.R. offers some with different options, all the way up to $2,400.00. Check past threads below for past discussions and brands mentioned. Keep in mind, earbuds do not protect the area right behind the ear, there is a large honey area which sound and concussion is transmitted through that bone to the ear. I have used ear plugs and Peltor muffs for 20 years and still have hearing loss. There is some thought that the recoil of the shotgun travels through the stock and delivers damaging concussion to the ear. This has been covered in a thread started by Drew House, about concussion effect caused by shotguns.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I’m using a set of Caldwell Emax right now. Were only $40 but they cut the gunfire and allow me to still hear conversation.

Maybe I’m lucky? My hearing isn’t too bad considering we used nothing in the 70s. I also grew up farming and we didn’t worry about the noise there too much either. Surprised I hear much at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been using Walker Razor Slim electronic muff and Walker Silencer Rechargeable ear buds for the last year and a half.

I use the muffs for pistol and some tactical rifle competition shooting as they work very well for that. I do prefer the ear buds for shotgun clay sports as they do not impede the mount of the gun.

Both are electronic and preform nicely for their use. I like some others started shooting without protection and early in my LE career there would be 15 of us on the line with no hearing protection. I have major hearing loss and constance ringing but I'm trying to hold onto what I have left.

The Walker ear buds come with 3 different size adapters for fit and a rechargeable case that charges the ear buds when they are placed in the case. I have had no issue with the charging using them about 6 hours a setting and then returning to case. I usually use them 4 times before recharging the case and never had any problems with them going dead.

They make the Walker ear buds in a blue tooth version also but I have the standard ones.

Walker and others make ear buds that use hearing aid type batteries but I would avoid them as those type of batteries are air activated and once you pull the plastic tab off there is no off switch to save the battery.

I actually hear better when wearing either type versus none.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts