Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of shooters used electric heated vests last year and they seem like a good answer to cold weather shooting. I did the standard Google search - and one at Amazon. There must be a gazillion and one possibilities out there, ranging in price from $99 to $300. There are 7 volt, 12 volt and 20 volt. What I thought would be a simple task has become a confusing mess - especially when I read the reviews on Amazon; one buyer loves the item and two others say it't just more crappy stuff from outside the US.

Rather than continuing to slog through all the rhetoric I'm turning to the friendly folks at TS.com. Would anyone be willing to share an experience or a suggestion?

Larry

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I've used one for the past couple Winters and it does a good job. It was a Christmas gift but believe it was around $150, the brand is Venture and it uses a 7.4V li-ion battery. I had to replace the battery last Winter when it would no longer hold a charge long enough. Don't know what to expect when I start using it this year as far as the battery goes...they are expensive. It has three temperature settings that last from 2-6 hours probably depending on the setting.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
I bought one for myself a couple of years ago and one for BF last year from Cabela's Search Results : Cabela's They work great and we've had no problems with the battery charging. Same battery that came with the vest is still working. We really like ours!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use a Milwaukee brand heated sweat shirt. I tried the coats, they are nice but to much restriction shooting and doing everyday tasks. This will be the third year wearing it, battery last about 3-4 hours on high setting, and close to 8 on low. Try one on before you buy, I like it a little snug to feel the heat. We've shot at -10 and I just wear that and a Columbia coat that reflects body heat. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too use the Milwaukee (tool) heated clothes. My favorite is the jacket. That thing will allow me sit through some long shoots here in Nebraska for hours without getting to chilly. Also great for when high school practices start up in February!

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
I've not used them for shooting but I have an electric coat and gloves that I used for riding motorcycles in the winter. They work great, even can get too warm. Obviously this is a 12 volt model meant for plugging into the motorcycle's electrical system. Probably this one wouldn't be practical for shooting but it sure proves the concept.

·
Thorn in your side
8,115 Posts
I use the DeWalt coat. I have many DeWalt tools and they all use the same batteries and chargers. Kept me toasty last winter. Plan to use it again this year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is fascinating! Until now I never knew there was such a thing as an electrically heated vest that would actually work! The d-cell powered socks they made decades ago were as useless as tits on a boar hog, so it never occurred to me that the technology might have advanced that much.

I might order of those from Cabella's. One thing I don't understand, though, is the battery pack. They don't illustrate that on the Cabella's web site. How big and heavy is it? Where do you carry it? Does it fit in a pocket?

EDIT: I found the answers to my questions and went ahead and ordered it from Cabella's. Thanks to all!

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Seamus O'Caiside ~ You won't even notice that it's in your pocket. Nice thing is, if you're at a shoot and you have a wait for the next bank, you can carry the cord with you and recharge if necessary.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just ordered one from Cabela's, they have them on sale and then you can use promotion code for 20 % off as well. I also ordered a second battery so one can be charging. Will use for hunting and shooting the winter doubles league at our club.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
TB76...

I bought the milwaukee jacket and regret it due to the SAME things you were saying. I like the jacket but would like the sweatshirt better as it would fit snugger and the heating elements closer to chest.

·
Registered
611 Posts
mobilewarminggear.com/mobile-warming-longmen-crewneck-heated-base-layer-shirt/

I wore this shooting in the coldest weather last winter under my shooting coat. No extra bulk and stayed very warm.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have the milwaukee hunting coat that has a removable vest. allows me to sit in a tree stand all morning in comfort, no matter how cold. gonna wear the vest under my shooting coat this winter. spare batteries are small and easy to carry.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, I got my vest from Cabela's today, but it is too big so I have to send it back. I usually wear a 3X but this 3X hangs on me like a tent. Going by the waist sizes given in Cabela's sizing chart, a 3X should be tight around my belly, but it has a lot of excess room in there. I'm going to need a 2X.

I'm only saying this so the rest of you will know it runs large.

Looks great, though!

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
The real key to keeping warm and having the battery last all day is to keep the wind out.

I hunt in some really cold weather and use these garments as well. I personally wear them on the tight side and then I put a thin rain coat over it and the waterproof coat is also windproof and it made a huge improvement. By thin, I mean as thin as a piece of paper but not one of those cheap garbage bag deals.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
See my thread on heated jackets because I just got the 2016 Milwaukee jacket and it's a better jacket and a better deal than it was before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts