Electric meat smokers | Trap Shooters Forum

Electric meat smokers

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by poacherjoe, Nov 1, 2019.

1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Looking at a new smoker and want some reviews from the experts. I am looking at Master built and Bradley what do you think of them?

2. ezekiel

ezekiel TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had a master built for years and love it.I use it a great deal. If you have any problem their customer service is great.This is just my experience.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Traeger smoker works for me. But I have never tried any other electric fired smoker. All my other grills and smokers are in storage since the purchase.

DC1958 and poacherjoe thanked this.
  4. Sr.

Sr. Active Member

I use a Bradley digital 4 rack. Set the time, temp and forget about it. The 6 rack heat element is supposedly not big enough for the volume in cold climates.

Kazer and poacherjoe thanked this.
  5. 2skeet

2skeet Well-Known Member

I have a Master built. Does a nice job for the price. The only problem I've had with is the digital control panel wouldn't show the temperature. New one was over $40 bucks.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  6. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Burned up the fire pan in my first Brinkmann charcoal smoker.
    I bought an electric element from Cabelas that fit that smoker( years ago)
    Loved it. Plug it in and walk away.
    On my second charcoal smoker and love it.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  7. azgreg

azgreg Well-Known Member

Another vote for TRAEGER. I have had mine for eight years plus and it has never missed a beat. Again this year we will be smoking our Thanksgiving turkey on it. Always turns out great. EZ to use, load the hopper with pellets, set your desired temperature, insert your temperature probe in the meat, and check it occasionally. Love the smell of the wood smoking, neighbors always get friendlier when they smell my smoker fired up.

WesleyB and poacherjoe thanked this.
  8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have a few buddies that wrap their Traeger in a welders blanket to hold constant heat during the winter months. We don't get that cold much so i just turn it up one click and works fine, but i would consider a blanket for you men in the cold parts of the Nation.

poacherjoe and azgreg thanked this.
  9. 1oz

1oz Active Member

Purchased a Master Built this pass summer. Used a couple of times . Digital controller started to cut off on its own . Master Built replaced this part under warranty. Has worked flawless since.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  10. Alan Afton

Alan Afton Member

If you want the best personal smoker made in the USA, get a Cookshack Inc smoker.

www.cookshack.com

I bought a stainless steel Cookshack Smokette in February 2006 and it is bulletproof, built like tank, and smokes/cooks great. I expect it will last forever. I wore out 2 Coleman smokers before buying the Cookshack smoker.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    poacherjoe thanked this.
  11. FlynLiver

FlynLiver Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Sold my pellet smoker and went to a electric Master Built I found the food was over smoked due to cooking with the wood pellets. With the electric ones don't cook with the pellets it just for smoke when needed.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  12. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I have owned 2 Masterbuilt electric smokers and loved them until the wires starting burning off in the back of the unit, now these were the first Masterbuilts out on the market and have heard they corrected the problem, I then bought a Masterbuilt gas smoker and that worked OK until the wind would come up or switch directions and was impossible to keep a constant heat temp when smoking so I gave that smoker to my oldest kid and bought a Pit Boss pellet smoker and really like that for ease of use. Smoking pork butts or briskets or whatever is soo easy, have done a few prime ribs as well and they are very good. I smoke at a higher temp on my pellet grille than what I did in my electric smoker so I don't notice the over bearing smoke taste like the low and slow temp smokes that can happen.

poacherjoe and FlynLiver thanked this.
  13. shootbad

shootbad Active Member

For electric smoker I have a Pit Boss Silver Star Digital that works great . For pellet smokers I have 2 of the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 that work fine , the temp probes aren't to be trusted and don't ever let them get rained on . the pellets swell up so tight that you have to take your smoker all apart to clean them out , real PIA .

poacherjoe thanked this.
  14. trapshootinkid25

trapshootinkid25 Well-Known Member

If you’re lookin to actually smoke, a traeger or similar pellet burner is best. Electric smokers won’t give you the quality or flavor. I have cooked with the best using a traeger and best them.

Can use as a grill when needed too.

Read www.amazingribs.com. Meat head has a lot to say re: vertical electrics.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  15. Old31

Old31 Banned User Banned

I got a like new Masterbuilt off of Craigslist for $125.00 and it works great.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  16. thskeer

thskeer Active Member

Old31 I need to find a deal like that. Mine is some Lowe’s special Santa got me, and she’d be pi$$ed if I said it wasn’t good enough, lol

poacherjoe thanked this.
  17. Stephen R. Auchstetter

Stephen R. Auchstetter TS Member

Masterbuilt 30 inch Digital Electric Smoker. Fleet Farm always has them on sale.

poacherjoe thanked this.
  18. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, I went with a Smokin Tex 1460 . Kinda like Cookshack . It was three months old and the guy that bought it for 1000 bucks needed money so I got it for 450 in great condition. So far I made summer sausage and today a pork butt goes in. I have access to just about every kind of wood so a pellet type was out of the question. This one only needs a 2 oz chunk of wood to smoke just about anything. Place the remote probe in the meat and turn it on and wait till the alarm goes off and it's done. Now I can concentrate on my waistline !!!lol

JACK, jsraney and 9manfan thanked this.
  19. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

Smokin Tex I have heard is a very good smoker......

poacherjoe thanked this.
  20. trapshootinkid25

trapshootinkid25 Well-Known Member

Smokin Tex Residential BBQ Smoker Model 1400 Review

Meathead says it’s decent. And at a good deal, hard to turn that down.

I understand wanting to avoid pellets with access to hardwoods. That being said, if I had that, I’d probably go for an offset stick burner because I’m more into bbq. The convenience of electric and pellet are great for the occasional pit master.

Since those here might appreciate it:
    245072D4-B842-4AA4-A34C-59F2720E4ACF.jpeg
    68E7975D-E913-4771-9A7E-CFB96483CAC6.jpeg

poacherjoe and RickN thanked this.
Search tags for this page

meat smoker discussion forum