Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone living or shooting in the western half of the country has probably noticed the smokey air quality. How has it affected your shooting? Lots of shooters over the weekend we’re saying they couldn’t see the targets as quickly or crisply. When I took my contacts out each night my eyes were reddened and irritated. Still had fun shooting though, lol!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Didn't affect me too much. There was definitely a haze, and some.other club members were saying it's hard to see the targets. I was out of breath a bit more than usual and extremely thirsty.

Since the air quality was unhealthy I was only out about 5 hours.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Light yellow lenses like the pilla PL, 64CB, 62CHCP, 80HC, or even the 85CY if its getting dark help.
If you don't have yellow then something lime. It seems to help cut through smoke. Will also help in fog if you shoot in that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We have a vague, high haze up here in middle east Alberta, and I was quick to blame it for my poor shooting on Sunday.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The haze was noticeable, even here in SE MN. One of the oldest shooters was sitting off to one side and in back of the skeet range, and he told me that the guys shooting station one didn't look clear to him. I couldn't say that I had that kind of problem, but definitely the "light", even you want to call it that, was different, giving the appearance that we were shooting just before dusk.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
AQI has been in 400-500 range. When I get up in the morning, I can’t see the house across the street. Staying inside. Club has been closed for two weeks. I am 10 miles away from a 125,000 acre wildfire.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,192 Posts
Can hardly see my barn which is 150 yards from the house. Definitely affects my ability to see clear targets with my one working eye.
IMG_0439.JPG

Mike Mann

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Here in Northwestern PA the smoke from those western fires is making for some very, very red sunsets and a bit quicker drop into darkness. The setting sun gets into the deep red stage a good bit sooner and higher in the sky than normal. The weather reports are showing, at least in last night's edition, the smoke hanging in the 10,000 to 15,000 foot altitude. Luckily it is not yet come down to near ground levels here.

If you want some idea of just how many fires are going on in our country, you can take a look at the Weatherbug Fire alert map. Expand it to cover all the US and it looks like almost the entire western part of the US is ablaze.
Live Wildfire and Forest Fire Maps | WeatherBug

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I wish that was my only obstacle shooting trap! Colorado has a lot of smoke most days from our fires and the ones West of us.

·
Administrator
8,212 Posts
Here in N.W. MT. we have had a lot of smoke for over a week now. We were starting handicap of a one day registered shoot last Sat. and the smoke started rolling in pretty heavy.

It definately effects your handicap shooting, the smoke will produce weird combinations of lite that often there is no right color lens to make seeing the target easier.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
So much for those beautiful fall days of clear blue skies and sunshine. My favorite time of the year for weather, and of course after this crap of a summer with Covid and the heat. I guess I have to look forward to snow, and that may be grey also. I know I have got it a lot better than most people with only having to worry about the weather. Come on 2021!

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
It's so bad I missed targets at Gamaliel Cup starting Friday in Nashville. I suspect I missed targets Sat and Sunday also.

Reactions: entropy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone living or shooting in the western half of the country has probably noticed the smokey air quality. How has it affected your shooting? Lots of shooters over the weekend we’re saying they couldn’t see the targets as quickly or crisply. When I took my contacts out each night my eyes were reddened and irritated. Still had fun shooting though, lol!
View attachment 1715635
I wear light pink lenses which helps the orange targets clearly visible but the black targets are more difficult. Here in the Sierra Nevada Foothills the air quality is about the same as the photo Mr. M posted and the eyes have been stinging for the last couple of weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts