Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to mix my first trial of ED's Red when I read on another forum that ATF Transmission fluid is not the same as Dextron II or III. So does anyone have advice and experience using currently available ATF in the formula or is there another replacement instead ?

Appreciate any help.

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I was about to mix my first trial of ED's Red when I read on another forum that ATF Transmission fluid is not the same as Dextron II or III. So does anyone have advice and experience using currently available ATF in the formula or is there another replacement instead ?

Appreciate any help.

Tom
ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid.

There are several types. Dexron is one of them. I think it was originally used in GM vehicles. I think it is also called Mercon (used by Ford) and ATF+4 (Chrysler)

Ford had their own called Type F in the 70's but now uses Mercon

Use Dexron.

Reactions: ThatsmeKB

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The GM ATF is now blue.
ATF was used for many years by many manufacturers as hydraulic fluid for machinery. It has changed a lot over the years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I actually used Honda ATF. It has no color to it. So instead of having Ed's red I now have Ed's clear. Looks and smells the same as RGS. It works great! I spray it on my ported choke tubes and a few minutes later the plastic build up is peeling off the tube. It's all I'll ever use from now on.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
FWIW, Giacomo said Acetone, no bueno. Don't use it as it will blemish the metal. I had used it on some Perazzi and it did exactly as he said. Now use Mineral Spirits with a little Hoppes 9 and it works great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I used Ed's Red for a while, until my gallon ran out. It worked okay except once. I used it with my new Rem cti105 and it ate away the carrier buffer. Remington figured it out, it was the kerosene in Ed's Red, the carrier buffer in the 105 could not deal with. At that point Remington changed the formula for their carrier buffer material to something that could withstand kerosene. That was good, but the 105 still had problems. Remington's new carrier buffer would work with Ed's Red with that kerosene in there, but it still had problem cycling light loads, Eventually Remington gave up on it.

Also I gave up on Ed's Red. It was okay, but I noticed about a hundred other products were also okay. Yea, you can mix it up. It works. If you don't mix Ed's Red up, and just use CLP that also works. If you want don't like CLP, you can use WD 40 for cleaning and rust protection, and then use oil or grease for lubrication. What oil or grease should you use? Well you could use Ed's Red, or you could use 3 in 1 oil, or you could use white lithium grease, or you could use transmission fluid, or you could use mystery oil, or maybe your synthetic engine oil, or maybe you could use mineral oil. In a pinch peanut oil also works, and if you have a diesel engine you can use peanut oil for fuel there. So what should you use? Just about any well known lubricant does something quite well, it lubricates. WD40 is one of the best solvents and cleaners you will find because it not only cleans it has great rust protection. If none of this rings your bell, maybe you should try whale oil. It is pretty scarce, and to make it more affordable you could mix in some kerosene, acetone, and horseshit.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
If none of this rings your bell, maybe you should try whale oil. It is pretty scarce, and to make it more affordable you could mix in some kerosene, acetone, and horseshit.
matt, I think you've got it. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
whale oil
I read once, somewhere, that the earliest automatic transmission fluids used whale oil as an additive for rust and corrosion prevention. Whale oil was banned in 1972 so all ATF after that was synthetically made to have the same properties as whale oil.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts

Appreciate any help.

Tom
You can go to YouTube and there are probably 100 videos on how to make it. Have a look.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Don't use the GM's ATF product. We'd have to rename the gun cleaner to Ed's Blue!!! Somehow this doesn't have a good ring to it? Mmm break em all Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I was interested in cleaning the barrels of my very old Browning Citori so I could put the 410 Ga. tubes in.
The top tube was sticking and I realized that I had not cleaned it since I lent it to my brother to use in small game season as a 12 Ga. I figured it was the plastic and powder residue that was causing the problem. I had always used Gun Scrubber, but I was out of it and the local stores (Cabelas/ Dicks) didn't have any.

After reading everyone's comments, I went out and tried to buy some Dextron II and kerosene - another problem with availability in the local stores. However, I did have some acetone and mineral spirits with my paint stuff. I mixed a very small amount of acetone and mineral spirits, went outside and liberally swabbed the barrels with this mixture and then vigorously brushed them several times (also finished with an application of Rem Oil).

Worked like a charm. Tubes slid in perfectly.

Now I'm working on cleaning the gas valve parts on my 391 !

Any advice ?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I read once, somewhere, that the earliest automatic transmission fluids used whale oil as an additive for rust and corrosion prevention. Whale oil was banned in 1972 so all ATF after that was synthetically made to have the same properties as whale oil.

Whale oil beef hooked......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts