Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have an Ed Brown custom 1911? I would like to own one but given the price I’m curious if theY are worth the money. All thoughts would be appreciated. As a reference the one I specked out was just over $3700 in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have an Ed Brown in .38 Super. It is a tack driver. I claim no great skill with a pistol but I do get a lot of satisfaction both owning and shooting if. I’d recommend looking on the used market as they may be more price friendly there.
V/r
Maxey

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don’t own an Ed Brown, but they have a very good reputation. I have a Wilson Combat and a couple Les Baer 1911s. I think Les is the best value in the semi-custom 1911 world. Might not be as pretty, but damn do they shoot.

You should also check out Alchemy Custom Weaponry. The owner started at the Springfield Armory custom shop, then learned from and built for Les Baer before going out on his own.

Good luck!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve considered a Les Baer as well but have a friend that has an Ed Brown and thinks very highly of it. It is also the only one I’ve seen and only opinion I’ve heard. I’ve not had a chance to actually shoot it though. Hence my question.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a night hawk custom Talon 1911 45. They are in the same league as an Ed Brown. There are a lot of guns that will poke holes in paper. However, if you like finely tuned fire arms you will not go wrong with an Ed Brown. I have shot one and it was definitely a finely tuned firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've shot a Brown - very very nice.

The Brown's, Wilson's, Nighthawks, Guncrafter Industries, Baer's all fall into the "semi custom" category and are all very good.

I own a Guncrafter No Name and a Les Baer UTC and for the $ the Baer is tough to beat.

A lot of good info and occasional good deals over at 1911 addicts.

Firearm Classifieds

·
Registered
528 Posts
All the different semi custom brands have their fans. I've tried most of them, owned many and my current opinion is that the Alchemy Custom is the best in all ways that I would think to measure by. Always reliable and is the only semi custom to ever be more accurate than my LB P2 1.5" gun.
LB guns are reliable and very accurate. They make me look good when I shoot them.
In deciding on any semi custom, your personal preferences will most likely make the choice for you. Not all makers offer every option choice you may want.
Night Hawk makes an outstanding gun as well that is finished better inside and out that a LB but in my experience not quite as accurate.
Little things.
After shooting and/or owning many, I have 4 LB, one Wilson, one Alchemy (2nd on order) and a Colt that NH build for that is special to me. Everything else was put up for adoption a few years back. I forgot, there is also a rock river arms Limited Match.
As posted above, lots of info and guns over on the 1911 Addicts forum.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another very satisfied owner of an Alchemy Custom (although I got the 9mm version). I own two other 1911's (a Smith & Wesson and a Sig), both of which are nice, but not in the same league as the Alchemy. I ordered mine about 9 months ago and had to wait about 3-4 months. I suspect the wait would be even longer now, as others are starting to discover them.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Ed Brown front strap options always seem to appeal to me. I have almost bought one twice. I just have too many 1911's waiting to be broken in to buy another.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
Ed Brown front strap options always seem to appeal to me. I have almost bought one twice. I just have too many 1911's waiting to be broken in to buy another.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Look at the CZ line of 1911's. (Dan Wesson) Forged frames and slides. All parts
are forged. No MIM or metal injected parts. $1,500.00 price
range.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with everyone else. ED Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer, GunCrafter, etc.... are all great semi custom 1911s. They all have a different feel and look. It's like a K gun vs a P gun. The ED Brown has a more sleek classic look to them and they're known for bobtails. Les Baers are extremely tight and old school looking. Once the Baer is broken in they're like butter and are workhorses. The Nighthawks and Wilsons are more modern and tactical looking. Again you cant go wrong with any of them. I personally believe they all have great customer service. I've dealt with all of them and had wonderful experiences.

Dan Wessons (CZ) are also great 1911s. They are the high end of production guns and are hand-fit.

Check out Stan Chen or Heirloom Precision for true custom 1911s.

·
Registered
303 Posts
All of the semi-custom manufacturers make good guns -- Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, etc. they all have a reputation for quality. Each has a different style and look about them. Ed Brown and Wilson tend to be a bit more traditional / elegant in my opinion. Les Baer is less "fancy", more utilitarian but known for extremely tight tolerances. All of these manufacturers are "semi-custom" which means you can choose from some options.

As Mark784 states, if you want to take it up a notch and go beyond selecting options you can go for a full custom build. Here is my Heirloom built by Ted Yost when he was with them. I'm a 1911 collector so I wanted one that would pay homage to the original military guns but built with modern features and metallurgy that I could shoot.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If you are spending that much on a 1911 is comes to personal pref not $$. There probably isn't 2 points of diff in Baer/Wilson/Brown and we could add TUSSEY.

·
Registered
884 Posts
All of the semi-custom manufacturers make good guns -- Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, etc. they all have a reputation for quality. Each has a different style and look about them. Ed Brown and Wilson tend to be a bit more traditional / elegant in my opinion. Les Baer is less "fancy", more utilitarian but known for extremely tight tolerances. All of these manufacturers are "semi-custom" which means you can choose from some options.

As Mark784 states, if you want to take it up a notch and go beyond selecting options you can go for a full custom build. Here is my Heirloom built by Ted Yost when he was with them. I'm a 1911 collector so I wanted one that would pay homage to the original military guns but built with modern features and metallurgy that I could shoot.

Thanks for posting this, I’ve owned all the semi-custom brands and they are what they are. Les Baer is the best value for what you get, I’ve also had full house customs built, but this gun you posted here is the best of the best, Yost and Burton are truly the BEST, great build...

·
Banned
200 Posts
I've got one or two pistols from most of the "premium" makers including two Ed Browns - a Kobra Carry and a Custom Classic. They've both been flawless and a pleasure to shoot. The Kobra is my primary EDC. My question would be, what do you plan to use a 1911 in 9mm for? I just acquired a custom target pistol in 9mm from Accuracy-X and it's phenomenal for the purpose I intended for it. How much do you plan to spend to acquire a pistol that meets your requirements? There are a wealth of options available from well-proven manufacturers - and a whole lot more from custom pistol smiths. Once you decide to go for a higher priced pistol, you should expect a lot of hand-fitting and attention to detail that you won't get from a massed-produced pistol from most of the 1911 manufacturers. If you're looking for performance, don't pay a lot extra for "cosmetics".

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I just bought 2 LBs 2 years ago for my retirement presents to me. I bought the 10mm Premier ll and Ultimate Tactical Carry .45 with 1-1/2" group kit, all the bells n whistles.
I went to Les business and spent a few hours with him. Saw his set up. Ordered my 2 on the spot. I carry the .45 quite often and love it. My lady took her CCW with the .45 and set the instructor back a step with her groups and what she was shooting. When the class made it to the shooting portion, hse looked at the pistol and made comment that maybe she needs a "smaller" pistol to qualify. She told him that l had been showing it to her and told her she could shoot it.
She was having fun by this time and failed to tell him she already had nearly 1000 rounds though my .45s from light 200grn paper punchers to full house ball and jhp. He recommends a .22. She says she may if she "cant handle this big one"
He agrees then they begin to load mags and prepare for the line. He gives the course of fire again, gives command to load weapon, and prepare to fire. He gives command to fire, she cuts a ragged hole with her first mag!! He then gives command to load and prepare for 2nd part. She does, 2nd round is a carbon copy of the first. He steps by her, looks at her target and she in her sheepishly southern voice states she thinks that this big one will work just fine!!! He just glared at her and walked away.
She let him in on it that she has fired thousands of rounds through my pistols and has a multitude to choose from, but prefers my LB .45 over all of them.

Reactions: dws and MsBadWolf
1 - 17 of 17 Posts