Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

East shooters vs West shooters?

6K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  BIGDON 
#1 ·
There has been some talk on here about the difference in shooting in the East vs the West, I've never shot in the West so I was wondering what the difference was and is it harder to shoot good scores on one side of the country than the other?

#3 ·
At many clubs in the West you have uniform background color, relatively level ground, decreased air density and more uV light. These factors improve scores.

At many clubs in the East and South, targets come out against a tree background and just when you are ready to shoot, the target breaks into the sky. The background is often different on different traps at the same club.

But, there is an advantage to shooting in the South. It is the only region where you are likely to hear "five all y'all".

Pat Ireland

#8 ·
The West is the Best?

I don't know, we do have alot of blue sky here in NV but lots of wind too. Who cares, its all good as long as you can burn powder. As far as which area produces more top shooters, I would think the east. It would be interesting to see the stats on that.

#9 ·
Years ago we were back east at a shoot and having lunch. My wife started to laugh. I asked what was so funny? She said " You have shot all over in this country and parts of Canada. All the shooters look the same and bitch about the same things, the only thing different is the accents!"

#10 ·
A top So-Cal shooter told me that shooting in the East is more difficult due to a variety of factors...somewhat more sporty targets, at least in past years, and variable humidity that can cause erratic target flight, e.g., sudden jumps and or deceleration of a target.

#12 ·
Having shot almost all of my targets in Colorado I did get to shot at Fort Lee Virgina in late spring this year it was very different but I don't see much addvantage eather way I feel like I could make adjustments and do all right. The main thing I noticed was there were no 27yd shooters at Fort Lee but I think that was due to it being a small shoot with no options or purses but sure could'nt bet the price. I hope to make more shoots in Virgina this spring. Jim Henry

#13 ·
CA. is a great place to shoot. Right now there is a 30+mph wind at the North Hollywood Club, the sun is bright, and the temperature is 90 degrees. Dress is shorts and T-shirts. Bring beer because with this wind there will be lots of watching. Andy will be serving lunch at 11:30 AM. Fred

#14 ·
I find this an interesting topic. Not long ago, on a thread concerning classification, it was pointed out that a significant percentage of the shooters in ATA were actually participating in D class. This surprised me because here in Southern California, we see very very few D class shooters participating.

In fact, at our last shoot, with approximately 35 shooters, we may have had one D shooter and one C shooter compared to I think five AA shooters.

I am wondering if back East there are more casual ATA shooters who perhaps do a lot more hunting and pot shooting than competition? It seems out here that most new shooters to ATA view trap as their primary shotgun sport and don't start competing until they have become fairly skilled.

While it is true that we shoot all winter, that doesn't mean that we always have great shooting weather due to windy and poor light conditions. I think that rather than some geophysical reasons for the difference in overall averages it is more the fact that there are more casual competitors in the eastern shooting culture. Does this make sense?

#19 ·
JBrooks I don't understand how you can judge people by the number of targets they shoot.

You seem to think that a competitive nature can be counted. There are all types of reasons that a shooter can't shoot 5,000 target a year. You seem to feel that you can look into their lives and tell by the number of targets they shoot that they are "casual competitors".

Believe me you can't. Even though you feel that you can. As an example look me up and then tell me why my totals are so low. Please do, also you say these things and yet no one can look you up because you don't use your real name. Or is it not the real State.

Bob Lawless

#21 ·
Chill out Bob, when I said casual competitors I was referring to a person who didn't look at shooting ATA targets as their primary shotgun sport. This would be people who prefer hunting, sporting clays, league shooting, pot shooting etc. It wasn't to infer they weren't trying or didn't care.

In effect, a "casual" shooter shots ATA targets on "occassion".

#23 ·
Maybe Neil can do one of his charts based on the Grand in Sparta, comparing eastern vs western shooters determined by state of affiliation.

Since Sparta's an eastern venue, western shooters could lose any environmental advantage and the scores should even out? Or if they still shoot higher averages at the Grand, maybe environment isn't the reason for the difference in scores?

Just a thought,

Jim

#26 ·
Brooks

"Chill out Bob,"

Chill out there is no need to chill out I am not upset or in a lather.

You have said it again. You said "Probably less than 1500 total targets per year" that is an assumption. You said you were "referring to a person who didn't look at shooting AT targets as their primary shotgun sport."

You are basing your reference on the number of targets that a shooter shoots in AT competition. One doesn't have any direct correlation to the other you are making an assumption based on plan old numbers of targets shot by a particular shooter. No fact no statistics to back it up nothing to back up your assumption with just your opinion.

Pat just for the record. What is my position?

Bob Lawless

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.