Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know getting to the 27 yard line is prestigious and desirable by some, but does it matter how you get there? It took me shooting a 96 to get 1/2 yard. I once scored a 95 and nothing because there was a 96 and 97. There were shoots I skipped and turns out 93 or lower got yardage. I now have it in my head the only way I will get yardage is if I shoot 96 or above. The bad thing about that is that the moment I drop that 5th bird I give up and stop trying. Yesterday I went into the last round only down 3, I dropped one early on but was still optimistic (could get a 96), but then I dropped another and then gave up and dropped 2 more and ended with a 93. It was a small shoot so I still could have gotten yardage but of course there was a shooter with a 94.

But it gets me thinking. Do I really want yardage with a 93, what good does that do me? I need to be ready for the next level and that means I have to have the right mindset, concentration and drive / will power to shoot at a top level - for me that means 96 or above. What do you think, do I have the right idea or get it however you can?

I actually know a lot of people that want to stay at short yardage as they are more into the Lewis and money shoots. And of course there are some that just want the prestige of being at the 27 yard line (this includes me). I don't think badly about either of these two groups - to each his own.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
I was like you. I had a goal to reach the 27 yard line. I requested and got a no reduction code. If you have not done so do it, talk to the ATA. Take the yardage how ever it comes to you. Took me about 20 years to get there, every once in a while I would win a shoot with enough people or shoot a 96 or 97. When I reached the 25 yard line good scores were far and few. I stopped playing the money except for the Lewis. Scores lower than 80 almost never pays, but I did win a few hundred bucks with some low 80s scores.

Handicap is where money is. That is why it is called Handicap, the better shooters are handicapped with having to shoot farther back. Looking back I should have taken the reductions when offered and played the money. Then again it is nice having that 27 yard pin. I stayed at the 27 for over a year with out getting an "Honorary" and I had the no reduction code removed.

Jason

· Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shoot the best you can and let the chips fall where they may. What else would you do? Drop targets on purpose?
No I would never drop a target on purpose. The last two times I came close I just mentally gave up and then wasn't consistent or focused which made things worst. I should stay in the game and do the best I can regardless of end result. I need to work on that - I have to recover faster from the failure.

· Registered
474 Posts
If you make the 27 with scores in the low 90's do you actually deserve it ? It is a matter of opinion , and I myself am glad I made it by shooting 96 or better every yard or 1/2 yard I got. I also went to the 27 at the Grand on the last handicap with a 99. I know people that are on the 27 and have received all their punches with below a 96 score, if that makes them happy and they think they deserve to be there then I'm happy for them. My advice to you is shoot the targets, break all you can break and let the chips fall where they may. I also think if you can't hold a 90 average take your reduction and learn to shoot from that yardage then move on. The 27 is an honor to make but a hard place to hold a 90 average. It takes a lot of work, practice, and God given talent to do this. People can shoot where they want and I have no problem with this, but I think the 27 should be a yardline where if you can't hold a 90 average it should be mandatory that you move up. I also practice what I preach. I am currently on the 25yd line and can hold a 90 average there. I would love to get to the 27 again and stay there this time.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
When I reached the 24, all of a sudden I couldn't score anything close to the mid 90s to obtain wins or yardage. I decided to request through my ATA Delegate to be moved to the 25, knowing I would have to stay there for 2 years. After the move I obtained professional help from Nora and Loveless. I started shooting better and within 18 months made the 27 just before turning 69.

· Registered
2,399 Posts
I have ben on the 27 twice and am just not good enough to stay there. Every punch I have is 96 and better.
The rules are set on long time statistics and they work. Should you punch on a 88? Probably not in Ms. where we shoot in 70 deg weather and up, but people DO shoot in 25 geg weather and down with 25mph wind....an 88 would be really strong!
Let the rules take care of trap. Shoot for what is in your heart. Otherwise you will never be happy with where you are.

· Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have ben on the 27 twice and am just not good enough to stay there. Every punch I have is 96 and better.
The rules are set on long time statistics and they work. Should you punch on a 88? Probably not in Ms. where we shoot in 70 deg weather and up, but people DO shoot in 25 geg weather and down with 25mph wind....an 88 would be really strong!
Let the rules take care of trap. Shoot for what is in your heart. Otherwise you will never be happy with where you are.
Makes sense that in some areas an 88 would be really strong but does that translate to a 96 for the same person when they go to another area where the conditions are better? I wonder. If it doesn't they are at a real disadvantage being on the 27 when they go to other areas or the Grand.

· Premium Member
794 Posts
Shoot the best you can and let the chips fall where they may. What else would you do? Drop targets on purpose?
What he said. Keep your head down and never give up. Sometimes a score below 96 is a good score. If it's a shoot with 200 shooters and you win with a 91 it an accomplishment worth a punch. There has to be some other reason at play as to why the other 199 shooters didn't beat you.

· Registered
134 Posts
You have to tell yourself you can break a 96 or higher score!

Don't get in the habit of relying on a mediocre score to maybe get a punch......
review the mistakes you made and learn how to improve your shooting ability.

only you can make it happen! you'll get there!

· Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To say you had a 97 working going to the last trap or saying I can miss 1 more and come out with a 96 is backwards thinking.
You didn't have a 97 working you only hit 72 out of 75 and don't say I can miss one more.
You only think about breaking whatever comes out of the house.
Henry
You are right I do count down to my failure and usually figuring what my score could be instead of total focus on the next target.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
A punch is a punch. I have earned yards with a 99 and a 93. Several with 96 and 97s. The 93 was in 30mph winds and honestly the i have zero remorse for earning it. Earning yardage gets harder with time and distance, take what you can when you can. Some car races are won on fuel mileage vs speed....does crossing the finish line not count?

· Registered
299 Posts
This spring I got a yard with a 90 on a decent day at a shoot with 51 shooters and at least 3 all Americans there. I was on the first squad and was disappointed with my score so I left. Got a call on Monday to bring my card in to get it punched. I was shocked. Try to break every target as you never know what will happen. Every yard earned is precious. But I agree with the others above. If you cannot keep around a 90 average take the reduction and practice.

· Registered
614 Posts
Nicely stated.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
A punch is a punch. I have earned yards with a 99 and a 93. Several with 96 and 97s. The 93 was in 30mph winds and honestly the i have zero remorse for earning it. Earning yardage gets harder with time and distance, take what you can when you can. Some car races are won on fuel mileage vs speed....does crossing the finish line not count?
I agree whole heartedly! You got there ... who cares how?

You know what they call the student that graduates last in medical school? ... Doctor!

Cheers, Dusty

· Premium Member
307 Posts
I agree whole heartedly! You got there ... who cares how?

You know what they call the student that graduates last in medical school? ... Doctor!

Cheers, Dusty
Exactly!

The point of ATA sanctioned registered competition is that we are all competing using the same standard set of rules. If you earned a punch per those rules, you've earned it. It's that simple.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
If you make the 27 with scores in the low 90's do you actually deserve it ? It is a matter of opinion , and I myself am glad I made it by shooting 96 or better every yard or 1/2 yard I got. I also went to the 27 at the Grand on the last handicap with a 99. I know people that are on the 27 and have received all their punches with below a 96 score, if that makes them happy and they think they deserve to be there then I'm happy for them. My advice to you is shoot the targets, break all you can break and let the chips fall where they may. I also think if you can't hold a 90 average take your reduction and learn to shoot from that yardage then move on. The 27 is an honor to make but a hard place to hold a 90 average. It takes a lot of work, practice, and God given talent to do this. People can shoot where they want and I have no problem with this, but I think the 27 should be a yardline where if you can't hold a 90 average it should be mandatory that you move up. I also practice what I preach. I am currently on the 25yd line and can hold a 90 average there. I would love to get to the 27 again and stay there this time.
If they go to your 90 average to stay on the 27, you will find a lot of "average protectors" who will not shoot in anything but perfect conditions. I spent 30+ years on the 27 and got one punch for a 94 at night in the wind. Beat 3 current, at that time, all americans to get that punch. Age and eyesight have taken their toll on me and i am now on the 21 yard line due to my requesting, and getting, reductions over the years. Lots of shooters on the 27 that not belong there. Those that do will beat them most of the time. I shoot for fun now. I hit 90, they give me a parade.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.