Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning,

I got an email from former ATA president Ken Duncan informing me that Earl Scripture passed Sunday. No details are available at this time. Whether you liked him or not please be respectful about this news. He sent me a Christmas card for many years after moving to NC...…

FR

Paul Rollins NCHOF Induction Banquet

South Carolina State Shoot - miss all 5 and he would say - nuttin….

·
Registered
479 Posts
I always liked Earl, and like FRedmon said we often received a Christmas card from him. He was always nice and respectful to Tom and I. When we started shooting in the 80’s he was one of the first “big guns” to talk to us. I think we first met him in Reno at the old Gunclub. I think he was there with his son. I remember him telling stories of his baseball years. He was definitely one of a kind. Sorry to hear he is gone. RIP Earl. God bless.

Vickie

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I watched him shoot in Michigan at the Great Lakes Grand, he was truly an artist with a shotgun. Also, he was next to me having a conversation with another shooter as we we're waiting to shoot. He was quite a character to listen to.
RIP Earl!!!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
RIP Earl.
Earl was a true talent with a shotgun. One of my best memories was watching him "adjust" the stock on his Perazzi with a wood rasp (while at the Grand American shoot).
Another time, He came flying(almost literally...) into a pigeon shoot at Paul Caudill's one crisp Fall Saturday morning (from Iowa) in a Buick Grand National he had just "tuned up" with a new computer chip among other improvements. I asked him about the new chip.."takes that 135 mph limit off the car" was his response.
Never attended a shoot that was run by Earl that I didn't enjoy.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I met Earl at Linn Creek years ago. I was following Leo's squad and sat down on a bench next to a guy wearing beautiful cowboy boots.
I complimented the boots and was told they were ostrich. Then I was invited to FEEL them. I politely declined, later Leo got a big chuckle out of that, saying "that's just like Earl".
My sympathies to his family.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First met Earl in Tucson at one of the winter chain shoots. Always had black cowboy boots, black cowboy hat and black shirt or jacket. Always had a story to tell that would make you laugh. When he shot he would be on post and turn around and wave to his friends passing by and then when it was his turn to shoot just smoked the target. Asked him how he could do that and he just said you only have to concentrate for about 5 seconds at a time, only when it was your turn. He bought a Beretta 303 trap from a friend of mine to shoot doubles with. The next day he had the stock all built up with bondo to suit him. Was quite a guy. RIP Earl. My condolences to his family and friends.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When Earl ran the IGC back in the late '80's early '90's he was a mentor to several of us new shooters.
He taught me how to shoot doubles and how to handle a gun. He would sit around in the evenings
telling us stories of his baseball career. He was inducted into the Wake Forest Sports Hall of Fame.
He treated everyone the same no matter your social status. Earl like us all had his faults but he
lived life to the fullest. RIP Earl

1 - 20 of 67 Posts