Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good or better brand of ear plugs to use while shooting?

I an asking about ones that do not fall out easily.

Ron Burdick

·
Registered
29,273 Posts
I never found any and one of the people that made my last pair of plugs when I asked about making a pair of with earphones said they don't like making them.

I found a pair of electronic ear muffs that come with a cable and an MP3 player connection behind the left ear.

So you can control the outside noise volume as well as the music.

Found them at Dick's and they are called Impact Sports, under the brand name of Howard Leight by Sperian.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rick -- I just went through the process of shopping for ear monitors. I found a company called alien ears who mostly serves the music industry. They send you an impression kit and after they make your monitors they give back the impressions so you can reuse them in the future. I purchased the type that have an ambient vent which allows you to control how much you hear from outside the plugs. I just completed a full day of testing shooting trap with the local registered shooter and I must say they worked great. I use my smart phone for the music source so I don't carry an extra device. Joe

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I think I saw something in T+F mag about someone who make custom ear plugs to your ears with speakers in the plugs for music. They are out there and someone does make them. Sorry I can't give you a name or a number.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh, I really ment Ron. BTW the ear monitors I am referring to are customized to your ears, that why you have ear impressing made. With the ambient vent closed you get the typical 26-30db of isolation provided the impressions are well made. Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mr. Burdick;

I too am of the opinion that the “iPod Ears” from L+M (a sponsor here)are a good product. They are custom fitted, so the sound suppression is as good as any custom fitted ear plug. The sound quality of the music is also very good. They are more expensive than anything else I’ve tried. However, they were less expensive than the total I spent on various noise isolating ear buds, and a set of custom fitted plugs from another supplier. L+M should be in Ohio where they will be made in a few hours. Anyway if eperry says they’re good. They must be.

I just wonder if the old music you must be fond of is available for your iPod.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ron,

The ones I use are MEELECTRONICS model SX-31.
These fit in your ear canal's like the foam plugs.
They come with 3 sizes of tips to fit any ear. Soft and comfortable.
Better sounding than my iPod "Buds" and will stay in while shooting.
I got them from newegg.com for only ten bucks.

Hank

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I just use my skull candy ear plugs. They don't claim to offer any dB protection but they seem to work quite well at reducing the dB.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Look up Big PAPA at the buckeye today or look him up at the state shoot coming up in 2 weeks. He makes the best plugs that I have ever got a hold of.

PM me if you like to have his phone number.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
a second for big papa. he works out of his truck. surgical silicone. he makes a mold and then sends that to a lab and you get the plugs in about a week motordoc

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I highly recommend FlaLagato. C him at the Cardnal Center @ the Ohio State. He made me a pair and I've been listening to Pink Floyd ever since!

blade819

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.