Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
Any recommendations on ear muffs.
I don't use muffs for the shotgun and just looking for a pair for the range.
I will wear over my molded ear plugs so don't need a high db rating.
Nothing fancy...no electronics needed.
Just looking for a pair of COMFORTABLE muffs.
Last week at the range I borrowed a set and this morning I checked and my head is still 6 mm out of round .... My eyes are not fully uncrossed yet!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The only ones that I can wear are the thin profile ones. The others bump the stock when I mount the gun. Mark

·
Registered
909 Posts
My issue with muffs isn't the thickness, its the projection below the ear that interferes with the stock

I currently use a plug in the shooting side and slide that muff up

regards

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
GamesGuy, Peltor makes very comfortable muffs. You can find them online, or google safety supplies and look at the hundreds of different types available.

If you wear a hat, I'd suggest the type that go around the back of your neck (without touching it). Mine are super comfortable. Peltor and others make behind the head muffs with DB ratings from 19 to 29. There are also tactical versions for about $50 that have mics in them so you can talk and hear low sounds and still get protection from loud ones.

BTW, you still want as high a DB rating as you can get.

·
2,755 Posts
I like the ProEars and there are several models that have a small enough profile that one can mount a shotgun (or rifle) and not strike the cup.

But, the price of ProEars is pretty high-think $250 and up for the better ones. $100 and up for the lesser grades.

But, I found mine-one of the better ones-for less that $80 from Amazon in one of their "Warehouse Deals." I had to watch for a few weeks, but they had one that became available and I bought it immediately. These are "new" but someone returned it for some reason or it didn't work right or something. It is repaired, if needed and carries the same warranty as a new one.

I really like mine.

Bob

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I had to wear muffs for over 25 years at work, and the best are Peltor. When I retired, I was wearing the yellow HiVis ones you see worn around the jets in airports. They are Peltor Optime 105s. I have tried everything, behind the head muffs, plugs, thin profile, thick profile, oil filled, you name it. These are the best I have found, short of electronic.

You can get cheap, or you can get good, and your hearing is worth paying for good. If you aren't buying electronic, good muffs aren't a whole lot more than junk, anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts