Trapshooters Forum banner

E RAD ... is this what was used in Sparta & the Grand? ...are they really good?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Sportshot 
#1 ·
We are looking to replace a dated token system at our club.

E_RAD was highly recommended. We heard tonight that many clubs including Sparta are using this system successfully.

Should we go for it on twelve trap fields?

#2 ·
I shoot at a club in Florida (Volusia) that uses them. I like that you can have a normal conversation without setting off targets and no stands to move during handicap.

Down side is coming up with a system that all can live with to ensure no one goes home with one.

And, depends on it's use, all day issue or keeping it on the designated field.

Volusia has old fashion shell holders at the 16 yard line and that is where you place the card when done.

I've read here that one club has you give over your drivers license and you get it back when you turn in the card.

#5 ·
thanks. we don't know much about them yet, Some concerns were the cost of the mics, almost $200 each and every shooter needs one?. also the reliability of the electronics in different weather conditions --- hot cold, rain even lightening. Can they cause problems during a bigger shoot where all 12 fields are full. (12 fields x 5 shooters x $200 each).... and then you have squads following ... how do you hand off the equipment to the folks behind? And if one person walks away with one, does it all fall down like domino's

#7 ·
We do not use erads at the Grand in Sparta. Most like them but I have seen cases were some peoples voices gives them a slow pull or no targets. I have one All American that can not get a target with the Erads. He shoots Hog Heaven and they one set up just for his voice. North Carolina uses them with success but the All American I am speaking of will not shoot there because of the Erad use. I'm sure this is a isolated problem and can be cured.

TD

#9 ·
I own a set I use for solo practice at Metro Gun Club in Blaine, MN. They are the greatest, bar none! The unit at the trap draws power from the machine and the shooter's card needs a battery no more often than every season or so. I've had several of the others and would never, ever, go back to any of them.

Neil

#11 ·
I think the biggest problem the Silver Dollar had with them was people walking off the line, getting in their car and driving away. The way the dollar's Gun Club side is set up, it is spread out so it was hard for the scorers to catch these folks who always returned them, but sometimes not that day.

The Dollar happily sold their Erads to Robinson's Ranch who, I understand, are quite happy with them.

Bob

#12 ·
The shooters card has to hang from your lapel, the shooter pushes a button to turn the unit on and off. With old eyes and fat fingers there is quite a learning curve for shooters.... The local club has one set. It has been found to be too much trouble to mess with. Larry

#14 ·
My local club has 12 traps, all with erads. No problems with their operation. State shoot this year all traps running went very well. We use fishing tackle boxes at the gun rack to put them in. Scorer watches very closely that all are turned in. Couple times had someone walk away but takes less than a couple minutes for shoot management to hollering on the PA. to turn it in. I really like them, I alwys get more consistent pulls with them.

#15 ·
I've used the eRAD system at Robinson Ranch and I think it's great. Workers there do a good job of watching that people don't walk off with them.
Maybe a few signs reminding people to hang them back up would help.

#16 ·
Seems like they work best in a perfect environment, like Dick said... small club, members only. But when you UP the game, like 150 league shooters on a tuesday night, or 250 shooters at a State or Zone shoot, most of which have never seen the system before, ... all different ages and abilities. and half of the scorers are inexperienced kids with all they can handle, counting scores at the end of a round.

And the expense for the club to buy this gear?, and the learning curve for these newbies to first handle this technology? then, one of the systems fails, or somebody walks off with a mic? .... verses, just standing in front of a Canterbury and calling pull. I'm hoping my club never goes that far with the concept.

Reactions: 2llc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.