Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DUSTY

dustyone60_2012_210222.jpg

Long Winters with cold temps makes Dusty a dull boy. Thought about the talk of lighter shot loads and the great performance their fans professed. How can they be that good? Did some homework waiting for the wind chill to get above -20 degrees and this is the result of idle hands indeed.

For sure there are many variables here but the bottom line is that much can be gained by reviewing all avenues of shotgun performance.

The only upload allowed is a jpeg. I have better (read more viewable) formats but can't get them here. And the drawings of 30 inch circles would have been worth a 'thousand words' as well.

Cheers, Dusty

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi Dusty:

Interesting, but I think a few holes exist in your theorem.

There’s a big difference in raw “mathematical” Point of Impact (the difference between a shooter’s Point of Aim and where the center of his pattern hits) versus his skill/consistency in delivering that pattern to the place he needs it to be.

You consider all pellets below the Point of Aim to be “wasted”. And you consider all pellets above the Point of Aim to mysteriously somehow be “on target”.

According to your chart, a 100/0 Point of Impact (POI) always "wastes" zero pellets. (Huh?) So, anyone reading your chart would conclude that a 100/0 POI is absolutely the only sensible choice for everybody with any shot load (7/8, 1-oz, or 1-1/8). After all, who wouldn’t want to waste zero pellets?

But here’s my opinion: every shooter always attempts to CENTER his pattern on the target (I do, don’t you?). This is true no matter what his POI is, or how much shot is in his shell.

When a shooter centers his target in the pattern, the target can’t tell (and doesn’t care) what POI the shooter employed to do it. The task of every shooter is to determine whatever POI settings best match his shooting technique, which in turn, allows him to most consistently put the center of the pattern on target. For some shooters, the optimum POI is 50/50. For others, it’s 70/30, 100/0, or even higher. So, declaring that higher and higher POIs are best (and that higher and higher POIs provides some noticeable advantage for lighter loads) may be true for some shooters, but certainly not all.

When you said . . . “Lighter shot loads can place more shot on target with proper gun setup than heavier shot loads with improper gun setup” . . . I definitely agree. But, I think you should have stopped right there, and omitted the dubious mathematics.

Because in reality, I think your above statement is just another way of saying, "each shooter needs to optimize his POI to match his shooting technique, no matter what ammo he chooses to use". Additionally, "if you're not yet a skillful/consistent shooter, no amount of shot in the shell or POI adjustment will change that".

Great mental exercise, though!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
What Jeff said. I'd suggest you play around online with Dr. Jone's Pattern Optimizer Program. It will be an enlightening experience.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys! Great responses for a fun exercise. For sure it was a simple shot at answering the question: "Can 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. shot loads compete with 1-1/18 oz. loads?

Personalizing for each of is critical. How we shoot. Where we center our pattern. etc. In general terms, if all things are equal (including site picture, POA and POI) much of this applies.

Simply food for thought.

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Several of the best shooters I know shoot 1oz or lighter at the 16 yard. All of them claim to shoot 9/8oz from their handicap. They all indicate to me their pattern is at least 90% high..... All agree proper gun setup is the key.
Thanks for the "food for thought"................ Larry

·
Registered
613 Posts
"Basic Assumptions" 100% pellets in 30" at 45 yd.s Then 90% pellets in 30" pattern at 35 yd.s. How does the pattern tighten between 35 & 45 yd.s?

·
Supporting Vendor
9,977 Posts
"Can 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. shot loads compete with 1-1/18 oz. loads?"

Answer: No. At least not in A or AA class competition.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey JT:

Arbitrary number. At some point beyond 35 yards all pellets would be captured. Didn't mean to be a choke pattern, just that some shot will fall outside the 35 yard pattern and be caught down stream. Maybe it should have been 60 inch circle at 55 yards. Didn't mean to imply that the pattern got tighter just wanted to demonstrate that some percentage (10%) of shot fell outside our 35 yard pattern.

Cheers, Dusty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts