Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will try to make a long story short. Found a gun for sale here on TS. Gun was advertised as an adjustable rib barrel on the unsingle AND the O/U. Several posts were made questioning the O/U actually being adjustable rib.(factory or not?) The seller confirmed that it in fact was a factory adjustable rib on the O/U. Other members chimed in, one particular is seen here quite often and confirmed after HOLDING the gun that it did in fact have an adjustable rib on the O/U as well as the single. He also claimed that the seller was "one of the good guys" So I requested an additional picture of the locking lever.(We all know why) I received the pic and it looked good. The seller accepted my offer and the deal was done. I receive the gun only to find out that the rib on the O/U is not adjustable in any way shape or form. But if that wasn't enough the locking lever wear did NOT match the photo that was sent from the seller. As you can see in the post to follow the lever lines up with the right side of the safety on the pic provided by the seller and the picture I provide of the actual gun lines up on the far left. And Yes, it is the same with the unsingle and the O/U. Seller refuses to answer my calls. He responded to a couple of text messages with BS answers. And now won't even respond to my texts. Requested for him to call me and nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
If you believe he misrepresented the gun, and won't make good, there is this site option: Scammers / Warnings | Trap Shooters Forum

It might not help you, but it might help others.

It's also worrisome that someone claimed to have verified in person that the rib was adjustable. Was a different barrel sent?

Reactions: Choppinjw

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I remember the ad vaguely. Unfortunately it looks like the seller removed it to cover his ass. Or at least I can't find it. Bad deal. I had a deal that did not go as it was supposed to on here recently also. Very similar to yours...gun wasn't as described once I got it.

Wish I had some advice for you, but I don't really. Hopefully someone else will help out with your deal. Good Luck

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
That's why I save a copy of the page as HTML, and also take screen shots of it and anything else pertinent before making a deal. If someone deletes their ad I have copies of it.

BTW, does the lever do this with both barrels? You have tried both, right?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I saved the emails of the listing posts and have all of his texts. A copy of his drivers license, the name of the club in Florida that he claims to be trap director for 20 years, etc.

And Yes, both barrels.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Do you have pics of the bls. ? Not because I do not believe you but just wanted to see how the ribs look as the family of O/Us that have a adjustable rib is pretty small and it would really obvious.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You got burned, no need to hide his name; let everyone know who he is. You might try "outing" him to the officers of the club he claims he's associated with. If they have a website you can usually find names and phone numbers.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I appreciate the look. It is pretty obvious that the rib is not adjustable.....no notches--dial/screw system of any kind. What is the brand of the shotgun if you do not mind? Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
As a prior owner of 6 Rottweil combos, & numerous barrels, I thought I had pretty much seen all that Rottweil had to offer in adjustable ribs. When I questioned the seller, I was politely advised by another member, "you are in for a treat" as that is the way Rottweils are made. I kept asking for a pic, for an idea for another project. When Choppinjw sent the pic, I knew immediately he did not get what he thought he was getting. The difference in locking levers is inexcusable. Butch from Pgh

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The false description and claim of an adjustable rib constitute fraud as does the apparently faked picture of the top lever. Send him a demand letter telling him you are going to sue him not only for actual damages but for fraud as well. Depending on your state, he can be open for substantial damages.

If he refuses to refund your money and all expenses associated with the transaction sue him in your local court. As the transaction was instigated on the internet you have a reasonable claim for jurisdiction. If you are reasonably sophisticated you can file the suit in pro per. If not, an attorney should be able to do this for a couple to three of grand.

The Seller will be faced with having to hire a local attorney to answer who will want probably about a $5,000 retainer. If the guy gets any good advice at all he will realize it will cost more than the gun is worth to even start the fight and that he could be looking at a loss on the fraud claim of as much as $25,000, plus the cost of the gun plus your attorney fees which the fraud claim will also authorize.

You can also sue him in small claims which, depending on you state may allow fraud claims as well. If he doesn't show up personally at trial, you win up to your state's maximum small claims award. However, you would then have to file in Florida for the right to collect your judgment and then collect it.

I would hit him with the threat of the big hammer and then drop it on him if necessary.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Butch, it was good to meet you at the Westy Hogan. Just shows what a small world it is! Especially among trapshooters.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@skeet. Funny you say that because I tried it and it was loose and wouldn't stick. I tried to think of any way that it could have been an honest mistake. I didn't try pulling down on the barrel though. That makes sense!

@ShotStop thanks for what sounds like very experienced and professional advice. I like your approach.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts