Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to swap out the tool head on my Ponsness 375 and can't get it off. And yes I did remove the 2 recessed allen screws. This tool head has probably been on for a good 10 years or so. I tried using a mallet but does not seem to move. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
485 Posts
That doesn’t sound good! Check out the manual on the PW website to make sure You did everything right?

·
Banned
485 Posts
I went down and looked at mine and the manual. I think 1straightshot is right, I think You have a little dissimilar metals corrosion going on. The tool plate looks like it is cast aluminum, and the steel shafts that it bolts to are steel. Did this thing get wet or damp? Anyway I like the idea of warming up the tool head, and tapping the toolhead off the slide bars too.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as I have had it has been in a dry location, but don't have a clue as to how prior owner stored it. I squirted a little bolt release, so will let it soak over night. I did fire off a E-mail to Ponsness Tech support also.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Cut a block of wood to length that will fit between the two posts. Using the reloader handle leverage on IT'S down stroke will move the aluminum plate UP towards the tool head and force it up off the top of the posts.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Went to swap out the tool head on my Ponsness 375 and can't get it off. And yes I did remove the 2 recessed allen screws. This tool head has probably been on for a good 10 years or so. I tried using a mallet but does not seem to move. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'd take the two screws out, liberally fill with "solvent" such as PB Blaster or whatever. Let it sit for a few days, checking the screw holes daily to fill if needed.
Then use a heat gun and tap. Vibrations from the mallet may help too.

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
Cut a block of wood to length that will fit between the two posts. Using the reloader handle leverage on IT'S down stroke will move the aluminum plate UP towards the tool head and force it up off the top of the posts.
Plus 1 here. Have had same problem. Cure: once a year take head off and clean and fresh grease or oil the posts.

Had one where I tipped it upside down and put some penetrating oil around the two shafts and left it overnight.

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
KROIL, could be your friend
MG

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well finally got the darn thing off. Took a couple of good wacks with the mallet. Thinking of putting a light coat of Never Seize.

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. Now to load up some 410 gauge for Grand kids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts