Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At most clubs I see a note about not throwing a dud shell on the ground. Perhaps I am taking this too literally but I really don,t want the thing in my pocket either. My limited experience with burning ammo as a volunteer firefighter tells me its better off laying on the ground/grass than in your pocket. What am I missing here?

·
Banned
183 Posts
Darn good question. I've only had a couple in 40 years. I can only tell you what I do - and it ain't the smartest thing I've ever done: Put it in my pocket until the "move" and then toss it in a "sorta safe" place (in the empty bucket, in my bag). After the round I bring it to the clubhouse. If they don't know what to do with it the dud goes into the nearest waterway.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Maybe y'all ought to watch this demonstration

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Do you have fire like that in your pouch\pocket, if not just take it home (or give it to some re-loader) for salvage. "Hang fires" can occur but, without being contained as in a chamber they do little damage. Any shell or dud needs some sort of heat (normally the primer) to ignite the powder. I have seen numerous duds and "yet" to see one self ignite. You are correct to be cautious as there is always a first time. Ross Puls

·
Registered
853 Posts
Interesting but true story: wanted to try my new air rifle so set up a box in my gun room, fired a shot and heard this muffled sound and smelled smoke. Looked behind the target and I had forgotten a box of reloads sitting there, pellet hit the primer and it went off, no damage to anything, just my ego. Has to be in a chamber for pressure to build.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Look around a lot of clubs have a box on a post for duds. I know my club has red boxes on all the ranges for duds.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
At most clubs I see a note about not throwing a dud shell on the ground. Perhaps I am taking this too literally but I really don,t want the thing in my pocket either. My limited experience with burning ammo as a volunteer firefighter tells me its better off laying on the ground/grass than in your pocket. What am I missing here?
I managed an 8 Trap/ 3 Skeet field range for 22 ½ years, and all were grass. I can tell you it is not fun to hit the primer with a mower blade under your ass. With no chamber, they don't do any damage, but they dam sure get your attention.

Reactions: trappermike

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Thanks Harley for the FYI on the lawnmowers!!! This is why we should not leave a unfired shell on the ground at any club. I just place them in my extra holder on my box holder. When I get home I use the unloader and save the shot. It is a wise idea to leave the unfired shell in the gun for 15 seconds or more before you open the action of the gun, just in case. Stay save and break em all Jeff

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
you let the dud lie on station until you move and then pick it up.
I don't like slow cookers going off in my pocket.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Most important thing with a dud is to wait a full 30 seconds before opening the action, of course keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As always input is appreciated. Just pictured a mini road flare going off in my pocket. That's why I throw them on the grass and pick them up after the round.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've seen some weird crap on the line, both scoring and shooting. Once saw one "give up" its load when a friend shucked it out on the ground. No harm done but a bit scary.

As told above, don't open your gun right away after a dud.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Interesting but true story: wanted to try my new air rifle so set up a box in my gun room, fired a shot and heard this muffled sound and smelled smoke. Looked behind the target and I had forgotten a box of reloads sitting there, pellet hit the primer and it went off, no damage to anything, just my ego. Has to be in a chamber for pressure to build.
You shoot your pellet gun off in your gun room?

Isn't that what the outdoors is for?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Waiting 30 seconds before opening the action is what is taught in the Level I NSCA instructor course which I recently completed. 30 seconds may be a bit excessive, but clearly waiting at least 15 seconds would be prudent imho. However, 15 seconds may not be enough time to make a cell phone call?? ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts