Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. On a model is there a specific reason that there is a duckbill on the receiver when a rib is attached? I've seen and shot Model 12s with a rib and duckbill and trap conversions without it and I saw no difference in my shooting. Just looking at the receiver I think the conversions without the duckbill have a cleaner look to them.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
12's have some basic designs.
no rib
rib starting on bbl
rib extension
duckbill rib
all vent ribs are higher than solid ribs, so in order for it to taper down to your eye across the top of the rib, they installed a rib extension on the recveiver.
solid ribs start where the bbl meets the receiver so there is no need for a sight plain to taper to your eye.
the duckbill was designed to help draw your eye to the center of the rib and to hide all the 'stuff' seen on both sides of the bbl when lining up.
without a rib extension be it a duckbill or rib extension on the receiver, the beginning of the bbl rib would just end at the front of the receiver like an unfinished overpass on a interstate.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
The duckbill on Model 12s is just neat looking. No serious shooter has ever seen the duckbill when preparing to shoot or while shooting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts