Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I patterned the new Beretta DT11 X-Trap over-under 32 on Friday with a knowledgeable Trap shooting instructor who assisted me with the initial adjustments to the comb and the adjustable rib.

Maximum Point of Impact POI we could get on the pattern board is about 5 inch @36 Yards with IM choke and comb at lowest drop, rib at greatest height (#2) and front rib increment at lowest front scale setting. See photos. This POI remains too low as I think it should be higher for the 80/20 I seek. However, there appears to be no adjustments remaining that raise the POI. My objective is a higher POI with adjustability remaining. Ideally I would like to return the rib to the #1 level.

My main limitation seems to be the lowest comb drop, which was necessary to get an initial flat sight plane down the rib. If I raise the comb 1 washer or 1 mm, I lose the flat rib sight plane with stacked beads, with the middle bead gapped below the front bead. At the least comb drop, the beads are properly stacked.

Obviously I need some professional advice before I go any further. The Beretta Over Under manual is poorly written and does not help with this dilemma. I assume I should go to a Stock Fitter nearby. I have Coles Fine Guns in Naples or Joel
Rectangle Wood Font Gadget Metal
Wood Art Wood stain Artifact Tree
Wood Door Tints and shades Fixture Wood stain
Wood Art Wood stain Artifact Tree
Wood Door Tints and shades Fixture Wood stain
to choose from. If you have any insights I can try will appreciate it. .

· Registered
2,988 Posts
My main limitation seems to be the lowest comb drop, which was necessary to get an initial flat sight plane down the rib. If I raise the comb 1 washer or 1 mm, I lose the flat rib sight plane with stacked beads, with the middle bead gapped below the front bead. At the least comb drop, the beads are properly stacked.
Well, if you are trying to raise your PoI you'll need to raise your comb. Personally, I don't look flat down the rib. Nor do I subscribe to the mantra of "stacking" the beads. There's a gap between my beads. My DT10Xs and 692s shoot 4" high at 13 yards. That's the way I've set them up. I don't bother at any longer distances. You've got a nice piece of wood on your gun.

· Registered
832 Posts
I patterned the new Beretta DT11 X-Trap over-under 32 on Friday with a knowledgeable Trap shooting instructor who assisted me with the initial adjustments to the comb and the adjustable rib.

Maximum Point of Impact POI we could get on the pattern board is about 5 inch @36 Yards with IM choke and comb at lowest drop, rib at greatest height (#2) and front rib increment at lowest front scale setting. See photos. This POI remains too low as I think it should be higher for the 80/20 I seek. However, there appears to be no adjustments remaining that raise the POI. My objective is a higher POI with adjustability remaining. Ideally I would like to return the rib to the #1 level.

Obviously I need some professional advice before I go any further. The Beretta Over Under manual is poorly written and does not help with this dilemma. I assume I should go to a Stock Fitter nearby. I have Coles Fine Guns in Naples or Joel View attachment 1735750 View attachment 1735751 View attachment 1735752 View attachment 1735751 View attachment 1735752 to choose from. If you have any insights I can try will appreciate it. .
As others have hinted, there are only 2 things that will raise your POI, raise your eye by raising the comb or lower your front bead. Moving the back of the rib only affects the vertical alignment of the mid and front beads, it does nothing for POI.

What you have discovered is that on your gun, there is not enough rib adjustment possible to keep your desired bead picture and get the POI you desire. You have a few choices:
  • Forget the bead picture and raise the comb until the gun shoots where you want it to.
  • Modify the rib to get the bead picture and POI you want. You could add a tapered rib on top of rhe existing rib, raise just the center bead, have a new custom rib machined.
  • Have custom choke tubes made with angled bores. You'll need a separate set for top and bottom barrels as they must be indexed separately.
  • Have the barrels de-soldered and regulated to shoot higher, re-soldered and re-blued.

If it were mine, I'd leave the rib as is and raise the comb. Shoot it for a while and see if you really have to have that middle bead raised and if so, then you can decide which way you want to go.

-Scot

PS, There's no such thing as "properly" stacked.

· Registered
2,763 Posts
You do seem to be contradicting yourself. Move the comb up to raise point of impact first. Then move the rib to get the bead alignment you need for the brain adjustment. After that just look at the bird and everything else should fall in line. Otherwise you may need to install a scope on your shotgun.

· Registered
2,763 Posts
I should add, if you want to change POI, move the come whichever directing you want to move the POI.

Reactions: ishoottrap

· Registered
1,563 Posts
The entire manual is a generic piece of worthless trash,Nice gun though(love mine) and Yes you lowered your point of impact to its lowest possible amount,not the highest,you did everything backwards but the manual sucks and its not your fault.

You have a boat load of adjustment.
Raise the comb and fine tune the rib adjustment to your liking and lower the rib to raise poa...And break clays and sin no more...

· Registered
832 Posts
The entire manual is a generic piece of worthless trash,Nice gun though(love mine) and Yes you lowered your point of impact to its lowest possible amount,not the highest,you did everything backwards but the manual sucks and its not your fault.

You have a boat load of adjustment.
Raise the comb and fine tune the rib adjustment to your liking and lower the rib to raise poa...And break clays and sin no more...
Not quite backwards. Looking at the manual posted by grizquad, there are 2 settings at the rear of the rib and variable settings at the front. Assuming the amount the rib can be adjusted at the front is the same for both positions 1 and 2, moving the rib between the two effectively adjusts the amount of drop experienced at the heel of the stock and allows a little more variability in comb position. I assume they did this to accommodate folks with more/less distance cheek to eye such then someone with more distance would set the rib in position 2. The rib as shown in the photos is set to shoot as high as possible with a given bead stack. Moving the rear to position 1 and then adjusting the front downwards to the bottom will give the same POI with the same bead stack, the angle of rib to bore is the same.

As shown, the angle between the bore line and sight line sets POI vs. POA. Keeping everything else constant, either the eye must be raised or the front bead lowered to affect this angle and thus the POI. Moving the back of the rib up or down only affects how the beads line up, not where the gun shoots. The setup in the bottom illustration will produce a higher POI than the illustration in the top illustration. If the gun is not shooting high enough and the rib is all the way down in the front (which it is), the eye (comb) must be raised.

Attachments

· Registered
8,715 Posts
“Stacked Beads” or “figure8” is the biggest handicap you can burden yourself with. Both shooting and your wallet.

I shoot 32” barrel trap and 28” barrel live pigeon with 1/2” gap between beads.
Didn’t win much in pigeon shoot but that 1/2” gap got me couple 100s in trap.

I sold my MX15 because the adj. rib didn’t do anything for me.
Raise the stock to raise POI. It’s the simplest thing for me.

I think it’s just me though.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for the all great input. Believe I resolved the issue Sunday by lowering the adjustable rib to position #1 and setting it about mid scale. Comb remains at lowest drop and aligned far right for bead alignment. Beads stack. Shot patterns for both lower and upper barrels at 20 yards with IM choke, with the POI about 5 inches. Feel I am about done with making rib adjustments and can go trap shooting.

Attachments

· Registered
2,532 Posts
Thank you, seems to more clearly associate the photos with the figure references. a little Italian English is forgivable.
You are welcome. Since you have been moving the rear of the rib, I highly suggest you put a drop of blue Loctite on the screw. After I got my gun, I kept hearing a "ting" every time I shot and found the crew almost backed out.
Happy shooting!

· Registered
832 Posts
Thanks guys for the all great input. Believe I resolved the issue Sunday by lowering the adjustable rib to position #1 and setting it about mid scale. Comb remains at lowest drop and aligned far right for bead alignment. Beads stack. Shot patterns for both lower and upper barrels at 20 yards with IM choke, with the POI about 5 inches. Feel I am about done with making rib adjustments and can go trap shooting.
So lowering the front bead raised the POI as expected. I'm curious, did you try raising the comb with everything in the "2" position?

-Scot

· Registered
6 Posts
I love my DT11! It is super adjustable. I use to be a big stacked bead guy. But a well known shooter told me it more important to have cheek bone on the stock than bead stacked. He was right and my scores have went up. There is small gap now between mine. I still do a quick check for alignment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.