Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really close to buying a Browning 725 Trap. One thing I don't like about it is that it comes with flush choke tubes. I want extended tubes so I can a) Easily see what chokes I have installed. B) Have the ability to change chokes without a tool. C) Finger-tighten them between rounds so I don't bulge a barrel (happened to a shooting buddy). I'm told the DS Extended chokes will work with this gun. Can anyone verify? I also would like feedback on the Briley variant of the DS extended chokes? I've have a mind to stick-it to Browning for not offering extended tubes in the first place, and because my current Browning gun's 'full' choke mic's out to be barely a modified! Anyone have experience using the Briley's or any other choke that will work on the DS platform?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You will be sorely disappointed if you try to change DS chokes without a wrench! Those buggers require serious torque to remove.
I sell Brownings in the store, and have yet to find one that I can even budge with just finger grip pressure. The brass ring on the bottom of the choke is Browning's answer to people too stupid to occasionally check their chokes for tightness. It holds the choke in place so tightly it will NEVER come loose.
Try to find a gun using Invector Plus chokes, and learn to check them occasionally during rounds. You will be much happier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the extended DS tubes in a 725 Sporting and have had no problems. Although I have not had a problem with the chokes loosening I can take mine out, change tubes etc. with my fingers. The brass ring does keep them snug but it is actually intended to keep debris out of the threads, and it seems to do a good job of that. branded should be the same. Look up randywakeman.com, he did a report on the factory DS tubes. He claims the factory tubes are made in France and the constrictions are way out of spec. Interesting read

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If you are planning to shoot trap with the 725, you'll find that you will probably buy after market tubes for it anyway. Other than full, DS tubes don't conform to standard internal dimensions.
John

·
Registered
733 Posts
Toss those factory tubes and get something else. I was not satisfied with any patterns from the factory chokes. I put in Briley Spectrums and haven't looked back!

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are planning to shoot trap with the 725, you'll find that you will probably buy after market tubes for it anyway. Other than full, DS tubes don't conform to standard internal dimensions.
John
Toss those factory tubes and get something else. I was not satisfied with any patterns from the factory chokes. I put in Briley Spectrums and haven't looked back!
I concur with both of the above statements. I use the Briley Spectrum chokes with the exception of the Factory DS Full.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have the extended DS tubes in a 725 Sporting and have had no problems. Although I have not had a problem with the chokes loosening I can take mine out, change tubes etc. with my fingers. The brass ring does keep them snug but it is actually intended to keep debris out of the threads, and it seems to do a good job of that. branded should be the same. Look up randywakeman.com, he did a report on the factory DS tubes. He claims the factory tubes are made in France and the constrictions are way out of spec. Interesting read
I checked all the guns on the rack in the store, the ones in the back, as well as talking to several 725 owners, and the conclusion I came to was that it was impossible to remove or fully install DS tubes with just finger strength. Not one of the guys I work with could remove an extended choke using just their fingers, nor could any of our customers or friends. Are you sure you are bottoming out your chokes in the threads?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 725 Trap and I can't change choke tubes without a wrench - they're tight. That said, I am happy with the performance of the extended DS tubes for trap. I've used M, IM, LF, and F with excellent results. Just today, I was shooting some 7/8 oz #8½ loads and smoking birds with IM and LF Browning Invector DS extended chokes. I might try Muller tubes if I find some used.
I suggest you try the flush tubes before you invest in more tubes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was shooting trap with a 725 and used the Browning DS chokes for a couple months. Wasn't satisfied with the results and tried a couple other aftermarket chokes, one of them was Muller. I ended up staying with them and really liked the U3 the best, but some shooters use the U2 for 16 yd. I only hand tighten them, but check them between post and occasionally need to be snugged up, grease on the threads will help keep them tight. I moved on from the Browning and shooting CG now, and use the Muller chokes mostly the U3 even though the CG Maxis chokes work well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.