Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would have to say generally no. Many do it to all firearms. Bottom line I guess it depends how much longevity you want out of a firearm. One dry fire is probably the equivalent to 3-4 actual shots? You are fully extending the firing pin spring. This can't be good in the long run. Take an old shell, cut it down and pop the primer out. Glue in a pencil eraser. There you have a simple near free snap cap.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Take an old shell, cut it down and pop the primer out. Glue in a pencil eraser.
This is dangerous, dangerous, dangerous and there is an ATA rule against it.

Page 16:
J. SAFETY
13.Snap caps or recoil reduction devices may be excluded from the above only if colored a safety orange as to permanently identify them as not being a live or empty shell.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Page 16:
J. SAFETY
13.Snap caps or recoil reduction devices may be excluded from the above only if colored a safety orange as to permanently identify them as not being a live or empty shell.
So you're saying then to color it and identify it. That is easy. I would think if it is cut down and open there would be no way to mistake it for a snap cap. I agree one should always error on the side of safety. Still don't see the need to buy a snap cap when an easily identifiable one can be made from a worn out hull.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts

Page 16:
J. SAFETY
That rule covers registered events when squad is on the line during competition.

It does not cover parking lot, non registered, and your home.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
That rule covers registered events when squad is on the line during competition. It does not cover parking lot, non registered, and your home.
I totally agree. If the above mentioned items are considered safe ON THE LNE, if follows that would be a safe course of action OFF the line.

Don’t meet me professionally. (Firefighter, Ret./EMT, dabbled in the funeral service)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dry firing most guns without a snap cap or a used shell is generally very hard on parts.
Dry firing a Ljutic or Alfermann without a snap cap or used shell is a big no no and you will be fixing parts In short order.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
I totally agree. If the above mentioned items are considered safe ON THE LNE, if follows that would be a safe course of action OFF the line.

Don’t meet me professionally. (Firefighter, Ret./EMT, dabbled in the funeral service)
I guess I am to dense to understand your statement and/or don't want to unintentionally read wrong meaning into it. Please explain.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
To answer your question > Yes and NO ! Read post 12 again and from experience a Browning Bt 100 ,not an o/u ,No ,No ! The firingpin goes kaputt very ,very fast ! If you have KX 5 Krieghoff , not an o/u either , you can do that all day long according to a gunsmith from Krieghoff . On an K 80 I'm not so sure ,but I do it before I put the gun in the case ,most of the time and the same with a Blaser o/u

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Dear Pheasantmaster

I take that post to mean that if you meet him professionally, your house is on fire, you are dying, or are already dead. You are not having a good day in any case.

As far as snapping the gun, read your owner's manual or call the gunmaker. A vintage gun? The default answer is no.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Centerfires are go to go, except maybe vintage guns, as Shooting Coach pointed out. Some rimfires are OK, I dry fire my CZ455, but only because the manual says it was designed to allow dry firing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts