Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at reloading the drxl 1 1/8 oz blue wad with 17.5 grains of clays in a sts hull. I was wondering what you guys think of the wad?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Excellent wad and fits perfectly with the components you mentioned. Also works great on top of 20 grains Green Dot with the 1 1/8 Oz shot charge.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I use his wad almost exclusively for 1 1/16 oz loads. (I do not load 1 1/8 oz) They are a good wad. I use them in my STS hulls with STS primers and 18 grains of Promo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Absolutely a great wad in all Remington hulls. Godd velocity, lower pressures and great patterning. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

·
Registered
401 Posts
you hit my exact load with Remington hulls and win 209s. My favorite load from everywhere on the field.

Mike

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Whether you like the performance of this wad or not will be determined by your reloader and how it is set up. If your wad ram or shot drop tube is set to compress the wad, the wad will compress, but not spring back. That will cause problems.

Since you are reloading STS hulls, why not just use DRM's Fig-8 or Windjammer clone. Both are absolutely superb in STS hulls and there are NO fit problems. They both pattern beautifully.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your thaughts and info. I loaded two boxes with 17.5 gr of clays and win 209 and ran 50 straight with them shooting reclaimd shot from lead miner.

Tom

·
Banned
996 Posts
Good shooten there Perazzidb81. I also use the DRXL 1 1/8 and the DR figure 8's and the winndjammers and like them all. Not much difference in pattern really.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
This wad is my primary wad for my handicap shells. I do use 5lbs. of wad pressure to seat the powder and eliminate any air. Why? I don't know, I just do and it has worked for me for many years. Another plus to this wad is the fact that it works very well in Federal Top Gun hulls as well. I know there are those of you that will say it's a tapered wad and not suitable for Federal hulls, but, I'm here to tell you they work great in them as well. Don't believe me? Contact Kevin at Downrange and get his opinion.. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestion on the top guns. I have 2 50gal drums of them in my shop so I will have to give them a try.

Tom Still(perazzidb81)

·
Supporting Vendor
1,257 Posts
perazzidb81 a lot of people on this site swear that you cannot shoot that good with reclaimed lead shot. It must have been the downrange wad that did it for you. Surely it could not have been the reclaimed lead shot that I sold you. Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Terry I think its a combo of a great wad and great shot. If you have some this year at the high school state shoot or the nebraska state shoot I will buy more.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,257 Posts
I will have more at both. Terry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts