Trapshooters Forum banner

Dropping the pad down lower in your shoulder.

2396 15
I have known of a few instances where shooters would lower the gun down in the shoulder pocket to make it shoot where they need it to hit.
My son does it and he is hard to beat. I can hit using this technique but haven't done it enough to master it.
1 Have you tried it and what were the results?
2 In what ways would it change the way you see , move to the target or change poi?
Henry
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13,503 Posts
A shooter must place the shotguns recoil pad between the shoulder bone and the collar bone. There is a soft space between them. A adjustable butt plate is used when a shooter needs to raise his cheek. This is done to level the eye's while shooting. You never want to lower your head to the shotgun. You want the shotgun to come up to your face. If your recoil pad is at the very top of your shoulder. You will feel the recoil more. If you install and lower the recoil pad. The recoil is absorbed by your whole shoulder and you feel it much less. If the pad is on one of the two bones I mentioned above. It will really hurt you over time.
So in closing, a adjustable butt plate is used in getting the shotgun to fit you properly. It does not change how the gun shoots. That is determined by where you place your eye. A properly fitted shotgun will allow the shotgun to shoot where your looking, and keep your shoulder from taking a pounding. It will also allow the shooter to keep his shoulders and his eye's level while shooting as well. Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

· Registered
2,988 Posts

· Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose I can rephrase my question to simply ask this.
If you normally shoot with the pad in its customary position and drop it down roughly 1" in what way could an experienced shooter use this method to thier advantage.
Thanks for the above responses.
Henry

· Registered
3,902 Posts
If you normally shoot with the pad in its customary position and drop it down roughly 1" in what way could an experienced shooter use this method to thier advantage.
Henry
I'm certainly not a great shot. However, keeping your head up and eyes level is a good thing, helps with fatigue and target acquisition. I believe if your pad is dropped too much, it might make gun pivot some and possibly affect you when shooting doubles.

Reactions: Ram Rod

· Registered
494 Posts
Henry
It would typically raise your POI. You see some rib and can “shoot off the end of barrel”.

· Premium Member
227 Posts
Henry
As others have said, it raises your POI. would drop the gun as I moved back. I do some shooting where I go from 16 to 27 and the gun is a lot lower on 27 to get a good POI.

· Registered
388 Posts
I do this for the first shot in doubles. It makes the gun shoot higher for the first shot then shoot the second normally. Just bought a new hanger to do this for me. And yes it can be none and works. There is no set rule for shooting find what works for you. You just have to train your brain. Otherwise how you explain some of the great exhibition shooters.

· Registered
118 Posts
Henry
I recently made a change that I believe is close to what you are referring to. I originally had the gun quite high, out of the pocket, hitting at the shoulder bone. I dropped my plate 3/4" to remove some of the felt recoil, which it did quite while. I offset the move by raising my comb very slightly, one washer, about 1/8th inch. My head is upright but tipped slightly forward of where it was prior. My sight picture remained the same and therefore my POI stayed the same. I've seen no difference in scores but recoil is much more tolerable when shooting Supers. I think this comes down to personal preference and comfort. You are going to shoot best with what is consistent and comfortable. I think the big concern with dropping the gun way low is it would be difficult to find a consistent anchor point.

· Registered
3,699 Posts
Henry
I am more comfortable with the dropped recoil pad. I like the fit and feel better.
If my sight picture doesn't change my POI doesn't change.

Lots of good shooters use this mount.
Lots of good shooters like the gun mounted higher on the shoulder,
What ever works for you.

Its All Good
West

· Registered
6,284 Posts
Lowering the butt on the chest wall/pectoralis was the point of the Monte Carlo stock developed > 125 years ago

Nice demonstration thereof by this left-handed Sporting Clays shooter; the butt is very low on the chest

Kayle Browning-Thomas. Butt in the classic position with the butt medial to the humerus & deltoid, and with top/heel of the pad even with the clavicle but with a MC that allows an upright head position

However, when lowering the butt, the drop at face (mid-comb) must be the same for the same sight picture/POA and POI. If not adjusted with a parallel comb MC or adjustable comb, then one needs to crawl-the-stock in order to look down the rib,

Jessica Rossi

sometimes very oddly. Pitch also matters in being sure the entire surface of the pad is in contact with the chest wall, and it appears that this shooter would need negative pitch, but he is a big guy.

We're all different, with very different chest anatomy, and need to find a reproducible and comfortable gun mount.

· Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lowering the butt on the chest wall/pectoralis was the point of the Monte Carlo stock developed > 125 years ago

View attachment 1756022

Nice demonstration thereof by this left-handed Sporting Clays shooter; the butt is very low on the chest

View attachment 1756023

Kayle Browning-Thomas. Butt in the classic position with the butt medial to the humerus & deltoid, and with top/heel of the pad even with the clavicle but with a MC that allows an upright head position

View attachment 1756024

However, when lowering the butt, the drop at face (mid-comb) must be the same for the same sight picture/POA and POI. If not adjusted with a parallel comb MC or adjustable comb, then one needs to crawl-the-stock in order to look down the rib,

Jessica Rossi

View attachment 1756026

sometimes very oddly. Pitch also matters in being sure the entire surface of the pad is in contact with the chest wall, and it appears that this shooter would need negative pitch, but he is a big guy.

View attachment 1756025

We're all different, with very different chest anatomy, and need to find a reproducible and comfortable gun mount.
[/QUOTE
Thanks Drew
Your post are top notch.
Three of the 4 shooters have the pad down deep and they all seem to have an aggressive stance.
They are in attack mode.

· Premium Member
1,788 Posts
As stated above, everyone is built different. On top of that, everyone's shooting style is not the same. You have to take so many factors in to account when properly fitting your stock. What works for one doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. Good luck in the process and good shooting, Rey

· Registered
6,284 Posts
Amen. David Kostelecky of the Czech Republic, Gold Medal Bunker Trap 2008 Beijing Olympics with an Olympic record of 146x150. The butt is clearly on the deltoid rather than the chest.

Vitaly Fokeev of Russia with a low mount and extreme neck extension

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.