Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See all over the news today that some thought is being given (Amazon anyway) to delivery by drone instead of USPS. News about USPS being gone in a handful of years due to cost overruns (a government entity, whodathunkit ) could leave little choice. There will still be the privates around, UPS, FEDEX, Beaver, et al. I just ordered 24,000 wads from BPI on their flat rate offer. I'm sure they are coming UPS, but with the potential disappearance of one source of delivery, we could soon see the end of these cheap shipping offers. And just 'zacly where in your back yard is Amazon gonna dump off these drone delivered packages? Don't think they can get up on some peoples front steps, but maybe I'm underestimating their technology. And a drone dang sure isn't gonna deliver 60# of wads

Any other concern about this?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
In the story I watched the executive said the majority of packages are five pounds or less...hence your wads would come other common carrier. The problems are that jobs will be eliminated for drivers. This technology will eliminate fuel costs and truck costs. I am sure they looked into drone costs for comparison. ed

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
As said in the 60 Minutes interview, the drones have a 10 mile delivery radius from an Amazon fulfillment center.

Eric

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I'd like to see drones try to fly during our heavy east winds here.

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
I heard these delivery drones will be cloaked. You will witness flying goods.
Which will translate into more UFO sightings.
Drone operators must be licensed pilots that will drive up the cost of goods.
The sky will be full of goods & delivery drones.
What about drones that crash these goods into property?
The insurance companies will raise the price of homeowners insurance and auto policies.
Competition will arise from other vendors.
Birds will be killed by the millions.
The lithium batteries used to power the drones will create numerous health hazards.
Oh the humanity!

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
The story on 60 Minutes last night-the Amazon dude said that the drones could carry up to 5 lbs., and a 10 radius for flight. But he also said the R+D is on going, but the final product is 3-4 years away.

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
My company (Cloaking Drones) has been researching the military & civilian possibilities for a decade. Once thought to be pure fiction it is a reality that is constantly being developed. Amazon is one of many to show interest. They have purchased rights to our entry level products that will cloak the delivery system only. Those systems (drones) are of a particular molecular structure that enables cloaking. Transported goods are of such diverse compositions that they are not yet able to devise a pre-set cloaking trigger.

The actual cloaked drone may seem like fantasy to many at present. Amazon has a 10 year contract for our delivery system. Thus allowing us to finance resources and pioneer technology that was unimaginable. We have actually been able to "transport" all elements known to man that will render drones and all other methods of transportation obsolete by 2016. A simple explanation is a "Transporter Room" (if you will) apparatus. Living tissue transportation has been experimented with over the past 5 years with some failures, while solid elements have been a complete success. We believe some of the human failures that were mutated have somehow escaped into our political system. That investigation is pending.

We are also opening an insurance agency for drone liability. Any damage to your personal property is covered up to 1 million dollars (US) for drone damage. This policy will be in force for the low payment of $50 per year. You will not find better insurance anywhere, period! Please send your check to:

Dewey, Cheatem & Howe

666 Hosed Way

Washington, D.C. 20270
USA

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
According to the news tonight, in California, it is illegal to fly a drone. It is probably illegal to poccess or own one there. But, no matter, the FAA is all over this, as is the FBI, DOJ. Sound familiar? Another clusterfxxx.

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
I'm with Brian. I want to see that baby deliver a package in a 20-30 mph rain or snow storm and keep the package intact and dry!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Big liability for Amazon using these drones in close proximity to people; even more so during inclement weather (i.e. windy conditions). No pun intended, but this idea will not fly.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think drone delivery would be fun. Lead them by about 3 yards with copper plated #4's through a turkey choke. Depending on where you stand, they can be as fun as three hole birds

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I already have drones delivering FedEx packages. Some of them looked they have been dropped from about 200 feet!

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts