Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
I've gotten in the habit of riding the bird. As a result I occasionally miss a bird by shooting over the top of it (waiting too long).
Anyone have a practice routine that might help. I'm senior veteran so my reflexes are not what they used to be.
Old age slows one down a bit. I typically shoot singles. I can constantly hit 23 out of 25 targets. I'm a one eyed shooter. Just looking for some advice from someone that might have had a similar issue.
If your "riding_the_bird", that is an indication you are aiming and thus the barrel/rib/sights diminishing your focus on the target.

Solution: black out beads or take them completely off.

But it could also be and be in conjunction with poor placement of your setup on the trap and thus the target eluding you with it's flight path.

Experiment with changing hold points on each station and especially on any post your consistently having more of an issue with.

Hopefully your not a high hold/one eyed/senior vet and if the answer is yes for all three, then you've just answered your own question. Get down on the house.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I used to shoot a lot of handgun speed events. Smooth is fast. Fast is smooth. If you're trying to be fast, you're ususally not. When things are right, it's smooth and fast. Used to average just over 3 seconds for 5 bowling pins at 7 yards with a .45 auto.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shooting faster, but within your limits, allows less opportunity for the wind to affect the bird in windy conditions, but shooting quickly by just the timing rather than bird barrel relationship in windy conditions is a recipe for misses.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Try a lighter shorter set of barrels.
Perazzi's are pretty fast.
Also choke for smoke.
When you can really center punch targets it makes you confident and the speed will work itself out.
Dont purposely try to break targets at a certain distance.
Break them when the gun gets there.
Some days you can see them right out of the house and other days they are a good ways out when you pick them up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know your routine, do you close one eye before you are bearing down on the target?
Mounting the gun and calling for the bird with both eyes open allows you to get on the bird faster. You can close your off eye after you acquire the target.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I don't know your routine, do you close one eye before you are bearing down on the target?
Mounting the gun and calling for the bird with both eyes open allows you to get on the bird faster. You can close your off eye after you acquire the target.
How would adding an additional, and a conscious, step to the shot process allow the shooter to speed up the shot process?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Everyone has their own individual timing, but not all targets are shot with the same timing because that depends on where they're going in relation to your hold position. I shoot very fast. Some I'll point out, some I'll cut off and some I'll swing through.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts