Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten in the habit of riding the bird. As a result I occasionally miss a bird by shooting over the top of it (waiting too long).
Anyone have a practice routine that might help. I'm senior veteran so my reflexes are not what they used to be.
Old age slows one down a bit. I typically shoot singles. I can constantly hit 23 out of 25 targets. I'm a one eyed shooter. Just looking for some advice from someone that might have had a similar issue.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,763 Posts
Just tried something like this exercise the other day and loved it. It's commonly known. Shoot straight aways up close to the house until you're smoking them fast. Then move back half way to the 16. Repeat till smoking them good. Then back again to 16. The smoke is really fun. Then move up again to a corner of the house, back and back again to 16. Then other corner... Have a blast. The emphasis should be on shooting quickly. Don't mess around.

I say this to lay out what I'm going to do for myself next time, but it might help you. I actually stayed up close, moved right then left and then moved back. My smoke disappeared when I moved back, so I've got to figure that out w the exercise I described first.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
There's a difference between "fast" and "early". Shooting (MOVING) faster or slower than I naturally shoot is a fruitless effort to become someone I am not. It might work a bit, or for awhile, but I have to maintain constant effort (and conscious thought) to do it. And then, invariably, the real me comes back into the picture.

Shooting "faster", like driving faster, incurs a greater risk of 1) making an erroneous move and 2) being able to correct before an accident happens.

Shooting "early", however, involves changes to hold and look points, so as to more intercept or at least chase less the target. This I've managed to do fairly successfully. At age 70 I now commonly break the target closer to the house than I did at 60 ... but I move less than before.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am a one eyed shooter, but still in open class. Since my eye went down hill I have held a higher gun and "intercept" the bird instead of chasing it. I hold an A, and tickle AA for a couple weeks in the summer.

My best advice is to steal the eyes of a 18 year old

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Tell yourself "Smooth move, do not hesitate". That is actually my mantra for handicap.

Singles I just tell my self to slow down.

However, I shoot with both eyes open and have high hold points. I see the flash of the target under my barrel and begin to move toward it. Usually by the time I get to the target it is clearly in focus.

Jason

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Well, you don’t have the eye sight or reflexes that you once had and you never will. The only thing that you could do is perhaps change your hold points to minimize gun movement.
Someone tell the mods that Tron has been kidnapped by aliens, and that someone is posting sensible and helpful replies under his handle.

·
5,691 Posts
Just tried something like this exercise the other day and loved it. It's commonly known. Shoot straight aways up close to the house until you're smoking them fast. Then move back half way to the 16. Repeat till smoking them good. Then back again to 16. The smoke is really fun. Then move up again to a corner of the house, back and back again to 16. Then other corner... Have a blast. The emphasis should be on shooting quickly. Don't mess around.

I say this to lay out what I'm going to do for myself next time, but it might help you. I actually stayed up close, moved right then left and then moved back. My smoke disappeared when I moved back, so I've got to figure that out w the exercise I described first.
Joe... check out the garage, I think I left a few Hula Hoops in there...

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
What’s the difference between riding the bird and aiming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hate to say it....go shoot some Skeet....Just shoot singles on each post....no doubles....helps me sometimes when I get in a slump on Trap

1 - 20 of 38 Posts