Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to make an add-on rib for my 1100 barrel. Pretty sure I'm going with steel because I need some weight up front anyways (the rib should come out close to 7oz).

I found the dimensions I need (.1875 x .3125) ready made, only problem (maybe) is its in W1 tool steel.

I know tool steel is WAY overkill for what I need, but its the only material I can find that's ready made to my dimensions, and I can buy it for $4 to $8 for a 3' section (enough for 1 rib) depending on supplier. Otherwise I'll have to have something waterjet cut, and that will be $50 minimum plus material.

Any issues drilling and tapping holes for front (6-48) and mid (3-56) beads? What I'm reading online is that it shouldn't be an issue in its unhardened state, but I really don't want to order it and break a couple taps in the process discovering it isn't.

Also, since its steel, I might as well blue it to match the barrel. Anyone know how well W1 will take bluing? I can duracoat or powder coat it if I have to, but would much prefer to blue it if it'll work.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Keep the drill bit cool with light oil and use Tap magic when threading. for that matter you can use the TM on the drill too.

HM

·
Registered
733 Posts
As you said, the steel will be in the unhardened state when you buy it. For your intended use, you will never have to harden it so no worries. -Ed

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
W1 is cold work steel. Unless you just whizz the bejesus out of the tools and really get it hot you won't have any trouble with it. If it gets a bit warm let it cool naturally, quenching in water is what hardens this grade of steel.

Don T

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As i said in the first post w1 is the only material i can find that is already in the dimensions i need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts