Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been load AA hulls with WAA12 wads. Wanting to switch to DR I bought a bag of DRA12 (direct replacement). When I set them side-by-side, the DR is shorter. This causes the center of the fold to set in lower sometimes. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
What kind of hull are you using? Those wads work great for me in AAHS. They're probably too short for AACF or anything else. I think the DRAs are specially made for the AAHS.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the same problem. Couldn't get Winchester wads so I bought these. They are too short for the sts hulls so I had to buy some claybusters.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I noticed this and asked the Downrange rep about it. He indicated that the best wad that they had for old style AA's was the Remington Figure 8 replacement. That wad you are talking about does work pretty well in the new style AA's but not the old style.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I load those wads on the new AA and have perfect crimps. Using an old MEC 9000 I can switch to gun clubs with the 8100-112 clay busters and get perfect crimps. If I use 8100-12 with the AA, I get the little hole in the middle. The GC with DR12 also are OK. I hate changing settings between hulls so I just change wads with the same powder ( 17.3 gr Clays ) .

·
Registered
152 Posts
I 2nd what FROSTYMAN said,I also used them for

old style AA'S and found the same problems.

Shouldn't be called "direct replacement"

JIM

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I raised the seating post and that seemed to help. Will know better after I run more shells.

Thanks BigM-Perazzi

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts