Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble with downrange drxl1 wads in new hs winchester hulls? They seem to hang up on the lip of the base wad inside the hull. Their website says they can be used for the new hs hulls.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
You should not be using those wads in AAHS hulls. They are too tall. You should be using the DRA12 pink wad instead. They are made with a bit shorter crush section specifically for the AAHS. The DRXL wads you are using are not catching on the lip at the top of the basewad, they are just too tall for that application. They work fine in AACF and Rem hulls.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They do catch on the base wad and no they are not to tall. I have had the same problem and they would be the perfect AA hull 1 oz wad if they were just a little tapered like the pink claybuster.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
When I use my favorite neon green 1 oz. wads with newer AA hulls I get a hang up on the edge of the base wad about every dozen or so trys...........went to the 1 oz. DRA red wad & had no further problems.

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I use my favorite neon green 1 oz. wads with newer AA hulls I get a hang up on the edge of the base wad about every dozen or so trys...........went to the 1 oz. DRA red wad & had no further problems.
That is exactly what I have found except I never tried the DRA Red, Thanks. Also the purple windjammer downrange wads are the same as the green, very nice but hang up on the lip of AA's also.
Wytale, if you are looking for a good 1oz AA wad the green dusters work great.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
If you look at the cutaway pix on the Winchester website of the AA shells, you will see very clearly that the wads do not catch on the base wad, the cup of the wad extends down below the top the base wad. Just say'n.

·
Registered
309 Posts
they would be the perfect AA hull 1 oz wad if they were just a little tapered like the pink claybuster.
For my 1oz loads in AAHS hulls I started out using the pink Claybusters. They worked ok but would occasionally seat crooked. I then tried the Claybuster "Lightening" wads, CB4100-12B and haven't looked back. They seat great and run through my Dillon like a breeze.

Alex

Claybuster Shotshell Wads 12 Ga CB4100-12B Lightning 1oz Bag of 500

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are welcome to argue with Nebs if you like. But rest assured, you will be wrong. Just saying.
Mike
I will not argue with your Nebs but I have found real life experience tops a picture every time. I did not know Winchester had a cut away picture of a DRXL1 wad in a AA hull.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For my 1oz loads in AAHS hulls I started out using the pink Claybusters. They worked ok but would occasionally seat crooked. I then tried the Claybuster "Lightening" wads, CB4100-12B and haven't looked back. They seat great and run through my Dillon like a breeze.

Alex

Claybuster Shotshell Wads 12 Ga CB4100-12B Lightning 1oz Bag of 500
I was wondering about those. The local reloading supply house has them and I've picked a bag up a couple different times but never bought one. I think I might just pull the trigger on a bag this weekend.

John

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
The transition on the AAHS basewad is smooth. There really is no "lip" for the powder cup of the wad to catch on. Cut one open and see for yourself. The best wads for the AAHS, when used with a bulky powder, are either the DRA12s or any other wad designed for tapered walled hulls made to hold 1/8 oz. more shot than you are dropping.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
I will not argue with your Nebs but I have found real life experience tops a picture every time. I did not know Winchester had a cut away picture of a DRXL1 wad in a AA hull.
They don't. The Downrange XL series wads are designed to be a replacement for the AA Winchester wads. If they are not making it past the top of the base-wad of the hull, then there is something wrong with the design of the wad. I'd like to see a pic of a cutaway of a AAHS hull with a "cocked" wad that is hung up on the lip of the basewad. The OP only says the wads "seem" to hang up but there is no indication he knows this for sure.

One issue with these hulls is the basewad takes up more room in the bottom of the hull, pushing the stack height upwards. In order to move it back down, you need to either use a dense powder, like WSH or Tightgroup, or a wad with a bit shorter crush section. Another issue with these hulls is the reloading data lumps the AACF and the AAHS together and do not take into account the stack height issue described in the previous sentence.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts