Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using Claybusters and just now got some Downrange and I discovered this. See attached pictures. With 19.3 grains of International , the wad is being pushed down .600 from the top on a nitro 27 hull, It looks way too deep to me. Any time that I have talked to Spolar, they say that their machines do not need adjusting. Kevin at Downrange says that you need no wad pressure. Looks to me like I need to back the wad pressure off .Raise the tube up? I also noticed the Claybuster Remington fig 8 wads have a total length of .730 while the Downrange DRXL 1-1/8 blue are only .605. Also the shot cup on the Downrange is lower and shorter. There were about 35 No 7-1/2 shot above the top of the wad with the Downrange wad. Therefore these shot would be unprotected by the wad in the barrel. I do not think that this is okay. What do you guys say? Thanks Mike
thumbnail_IMG_1654.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1655.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1656.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1657 (1).jpg thumbnail_IMG_1657.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1658.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Been using Claybusters and just now got some Downrange and I discovered this. See attached pictures. With 19.3 grains of International , the wad is being pushed down .600 from the top on a nitro 27 hull, It looks way too deep to me. Any time that I have talked to Spolar, they say that their machines do not need adjusting. Kevin at Downrange says that you need no wad pressure. Looks to me like I need to back the wad pressure off .Raise the tube up? I also noticed the Claybuster Remington fig 8 wads have a total length of .730 while the Downrange DRXL 1-1/8 blue are only .605. Also the shot cup on the Downrange is lower and shorter. There were about 35 No 7-1/2 shot above the top of the wad with the Downrange wad. Therefore these shot would be unprotected by the wad in the barrel. I do not think that this is okay. What do you guys say? Thanks Mike
View attachment 1751549 View attachment 1751551 View attachment 1751552 View attachment 1751553 View attachment 1751554 View attachment 1751556

Why are you comparing two different style wads (not brands) and expecting the same results?

Compare the Downrange DRF8 or Bio F8 for comparability.

That said, the DRXL with 19gr of Green Dot in an STS and 1.125oz shot is a perfect fit when loaded on a Spolar.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I just want to know where You are getting Downrange wads? Every dealer that sells online that I see, are pretty much out of everything. I myself have been using a lot of Claybusters lately, but prefer the Downrange wads. They feel slicker, and feed through My reloaders better.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am comparing two different style wads because Kevin said they are interchangable .Also because that is what I have.They are both 1 1/8 wads .The drxl 1 1/8 wad does not contain a full 1 1/8 of shot as I said above .Did you read that part?The downrange wad can be used in both the remington hull and the winchester hull.I am asking about the downrange wads because they are not the same that I used to get Are you saying theDRF8 and Bio F8 are readily available? If so send me some and I will compare.I guess you are saying that two different I 1/8 wads dont hold the same amount of shot.I was comparing them because I thought that that all 1 1/8 wads actually held 1 1/8 oz. of shot.The finished shells look great,crimp and all,but again as I said above the question is about wad pressure and unprotected shot.I dont care about your Green Dot .If you see another post from me ,please dont respond .I dont like typing a response to a stupid answer.Regards

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fisher,I got them from Karl McKnight in Tuscon.I like you think they are a little better also.Used to load claybusters then switched to Downrange.Probably loaded 20 cases or so of Downrange of every type for a Remington STS or Nitro 27 hull.Then couldnot get Downrange and went back to Claybusters.Kevin at Downrange told me Karl just recently got new stock.They charged me about 112.00 a case.I thought that was a litttle high.But UPS shipping ate me up -about 60.00.I think these wads are different than what I used to get .Mike

·
Registered
799 Posts
Measure the shot cup diameter on each wad and look at the depth of each powder cup. Every wad is a little different and they seat differently in the hull. A while back I called Kevin at Downrange to discuss not getting great crimps with a TGT clone. He suggested a Green Duster wad. He said it sits higher in the hull than a TGT wad. I suspect the same is going on with the wad you are using.
As far as the shot cup holding 1-1/8 of shot. I am of the opinion that NONE of them hold 1 1/8 of shot. The pictures below were taken when I was fooling around one day trying to find a wad that would hold the full load. I hand weighed shot for each wad. None of them held the shot within the shot cup. With the exception of the far left wad which is a FED 12S0 - (one ounce wad) I was able to stack 1 1/8 ounce onto each wad without spilling. None of them contained the volume and stayed below the top of the shot cup. They all flexed out but still held the 1-1/8 ounce of shot.
For reference the wads in order are. OEM 12S0, OEM 12S3, Down Range - 12S3, 12S0, OEM TGT12, Down Range Blue Duster, Down Range DRA-12, Down Range Windjammer, DRHRT12 Hybrid.
All wads get compressed some when the final crimp is applied. I am of the opinion the Fig 8 / TGT12 wads compress easier than the AA style wads and the Down Range XL series wads. I can show you some pictures of wads in translucent hulls if you really want to see them. Bottom line is, they all work as long as they crimp and seal good.
The OEM TGT12 is in a Nitro 27 and does NOT hold 1-1/8 ounce in the shot cup. I would not worry about it. If they crimp up fine, shoot em. The pellets are not going to harm anything.
As a side note. The light Blue Down Range 12S0 wad, which is a one once wad, has the tallest shot cup. Go figure that one out.

Good luck in your quest.
20180615_183302.jpg

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
firewater, your disrespect is noted. As I read your original post you were, indeed, comparing 2 different wads.

Not real bright, Especially since there is a Downrange F8 copy. FWIW I have been using 1.125 oz shot in a green XL- 1 for years with no barrel leading whatsoever. I assume the shot compresses together slightly upon firing therefore does not contact the barrel.

HM

·
Registered
131 Posts
I seem to be more impressed with my results at the patterning board than the appearance of the shell as it goes around the press and stacks correctly

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
View attachment 1751549 View attachment 1751551 View attachment 1751552 View attachment 1751553 View attachment 1751554 View attachment 1751556
This is like comparing an Apple to an Orange.
A Remington Figure 8, is NOT the same as a Winchester WAA12 or a DRXL!
They will NEVER reload the same.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
True, also DR XL wads are their own animal, not to be confused with the others. I have good results with them, and therefore approve.

HM

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Measure the shot cup diameter on each wad and look at the depth of each powder cup. Every wad is a little different and they seat differently in the hull. A while back I called Kevin at Downrange to discuss not getting great crimps with a TGT clone. He suggested a Green Duster wad. He said it sits higher in the hull than a TGT wad. I suspect the same is going on with the wad you are using.
As far as the shot cup holding 1-1/8 of shot. I am of the opinion that NONE of them hold 1 1/8 of shot. The pictures below were taken when I was fooling around one day trying to find a wad that would hold the full load. I hand weighed shot for each wad. None of them held the shot within the shot cup. With the exception of the far left wad which is a FED 12S0 - (one ounce wad) I was able to stack 1 1/8 ounce onto each wad without spilling. None of them contained the volume and stayed below the top of the shot cup. They all flexed out but still held the 1-1/8 ounce of shot.
For reference the wads in order are. OEM 12S0, OEM 12S3, Down Range - 12S3, 12S0, OEM TGT12, Down Range Blue Duster, Down Range DRA-12, Down Range Windjammer, DRHRT12 Hybrid.
All wads get compressed some when the final crimp is applied. I am of the opinion the Fig 8 / TGT12 wads compress easier than the AA style wads and the Down Range XL series wads. I can show you some pictures of wads in translucent hulls if you really want to see them. Bottom line is, they all work as long as they crimp and seal good.
The OEM TGT12 is in a Nitro 27 and does NOT hold 1-1/8 ounce in the shot cup. I would not worry about it. If they crimp up fine, shoot em. The pellets are not going to harm anything.
As a side note. The light Blue Down Range 12S0 wad, which is a one once wad, has the tallest shot cup. Go figure that one out.

Good luck in your quest.
View attachment 1751567
The Federal 12SO is a 1oz wad.
Of course it will have a taller shot cup than a 1 1/8 oz wad.
As far as all of the shot being contained in the shot cup, it really doesn't matter.
Remington 1 1/8 oz Nitro 27's use the 1oz TGT wad in it's factory loading.
It's very possible, that it is the very best Handicap shell produced today.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I dont like typing a response to a stupid
You are the stupid one. Getting bent out of shape for that simple fact being pointed out to you reinforces the impression of stupidity.

I really doubt that Kevin told you the wads were the same and thus interchangeable. They OBVIOUSLY are NOT the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am comparing two different style wads because Kevin said they are interchangable .Also because that is what I have.They are both 1 1/8 wads .The drxl 1 1/8 wad does not contain a full 1 1/8 of shot as I said above .Did you read that part?The downrange wad can be used in both the remington hull and the winchester hull.I am asking about the downrange wads because they are not the same that I used to get Are you saying theDRF8 and Bio F8 are readily available? If so send me some and I will compare.I guess you are saying that two different I 1/8 wads dont hold the same amount of shot.I was comparing them because I thought that that all 1 1/8 wads actually held 1 1/8 oz. of shot.The finished shells look great,crimp and all,but again as I said above the question is about wad pressure and unprotected shot.I dont care about your Green Dot .If you see another post from me ,please dont respond .I dont like typing a response to a stupid answer.Regards
Calm down !!

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Maybe this helps you.
No where does it say anything with regards to replacing a Remington Figure 8. It is a DIRECT replacement to a Winchester WAA12, although it does not LOOK the same.
It is NOT a direct replacement to a Remington Figure 8!
Screenshot_20210511-125326_Chrome.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts