Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually load 20.1 grains of WSH in a Win AA HS hull with 9/8 oz shot in a downrange TGT 12wad. I am having a hard time finding downrange TGT12 wads at a reasonable price. I found some Winchester WAA12SL at a good price. Is this a good replacement and will these give me similar stack height. I find if I use the WAA12 (1 1/8 oz) wad, I get dished crimps and can’t get rid of the hole in the center. Thanks in advance.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I usually load 20.1 grains of WSH in a Win AA HS hull with 9/8 oz shot in a downrange TGT 12wad. I am having a hard time finding downrange TGT12 wads at a reasonable price. I found some Winchester WAA12SL at a good price. Is this a good replacement and will these give me similar stack height. I find if I use the WAA12 (1 1/8 oz) wad, I get dished crimps and can’t get rid of the hole in the center. Thanks in advance.
I do not think that you have a stack height issue, but rather a loader adjustment issue. The AA HS hull loads perfectly with WAA12 wads and 20.1 to 20.9 grains of WS/HC.
The factory Super Handicap is exactly 20.9 grains with the WAA12 wad.
I would lower both your pre crimp and crimp dies.

· Premium Member
877 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I will try the WWAA12 wad and adjust my precrimp and final die as needed. The more I load the new AA HS hull, the more I miss the old one piece CF.
The mourning of the passing of the CF hull should have been over a decade ago, accept the loss and quit wasting time lamenting it. Move over to the Remington hulls which are still abundant and lead a happy time at the loader.

· Registered
238 Posts
Mg1polo, can you please read the initial post again. I believe he began by saying he is loading 9/8 oz in a TGT 12 wad and is having trouble finding the wad at a reasonable price. His question was will the WAA12SL give him the same stack height. The only reference to 1 1/8oz was stating when he used the WAA12 wad it gave him a dished crimp. AGAIN PLEASE READ Thanks, El Gordo

· Registered
812 Posts
Why do you prefer a wad designed for 1.0 oz loads instead of the factory-recommended wad for 1.125 oz loads? If you're looking to buy new wads, I'd look for the wad designed for my load, either Downrange or Claybuster. After years of using Downrange wads for my 1 oz loads in Winchester hulls, I changed to Claybusters and have been very happy.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Why do you prefer a wad designed for 1.0 oz loads instead of the factory-recommended wad for 1.125 oz loads? If you're looking to buy new wads, I'd look for the wad designed for my load, either Downrange or Claybuster. After years of using Downrange wads for my 1 oz loads in Winchester hulls, I changed to Claybusters and have been very happy.
Stack height.

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Your post demonstrates a lack of understanding of the impact of powder density on stack height. The powder the OP is using, WSH, is extraordinarily dense, causing a reduction in stack height. One way to counteract the effect of a dense powder on stack height is to use a wad designed to hold 1/8 oz. less shot than is being loaded. Such a wad has a taller crush section, raising the stack height. However, in the HS hull, the WSH powder is what the factory uses and the factory also uses the WAA12 wad. So, raising the stack height should not be necessary. In a Rem hull, the TGT12 wad would be appropriate with this powder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.