Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing good thing s about DR 8 petal figure 8 wads and I am having problem with the data available. I load 11/8 oz. , AAhs hulls , cheddite primers . red dot seems like all data pertains to Remmington can someone clarify for me I would like to try some out.

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
Cheddite is swapped with the Win 209 by many people without trouble. Start light ( 16 gn or so ) and work up. Don't go past that 18.5 gn. load.
  • 2 3/4-in. Winchester AA Plastic Shells
  • 1 1/8 shot wt.
Dram Equiv.
Shot Wt.
(ounces)
Velocity
(fps)
Primer
Powder
Wad
Grains
Approx. psi
Spacers
Print

--- 1 1/8 1,090 Win 209 Red Dot Fig 8 or DR RF8 16 8,300 - View this recipe
--- 1 1/8 1,145 Win 209 Red Dot Fig 8 or DR RF8 17.5 9,900 - View this recipe
--- 1 1/8 1,200 Win 209 Red Dot Fig 8 or DR RF8 18.5 10,700 - View this recipe
--- 1 1/8 1,145 Fed 209A Red Dot Fig 8 or DR RF8 17 9,800 - View this recipe
--- 1 1/8 1,200 Fed 209A Red Dot Fig 8 or DR RF8 18.5 10,200 - View this recipe

* To See Additional Notes, Click "View this recipe".

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flashmax thanks for the reference great help . Do you have any feeling about 8 petal vs. 4
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
327 Posts
mac66,
I have just switched to the DRHF8 wad. I talked to kevin lewis from downrange and he said you use the same data as for the reg fig 8 wad. So if it says fig 8 then you can load it with the 8 petal. If you would pm me your address I would be happy to send you some to try. Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The HS AA hull is not the best choice for the Fig 8 wad(of any manufacture). They will work in the HS AA but perform much better out of a Remington hull such as the STS, Nitro or Gun Club. I always noticed a lot more unburned powder from the HS AA hulls using a Fig 8 wad as opposed to the same wad from any Remington hull.

Just Say'n.......

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have loaded a case of them in STS Hulls. Great wad. Next time I will probably buy the four petal version of them. They are easier to run through the loader. The eight petal ones get hung up in my MEC. You have to go slower and make sure the petals do not get hung up on the main spring or wad guide.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Cheddite is swapped with the Win 209 by many people without trouble.
True...

Start light ( 16 gn or so ) and work up.
Given your statement above about Cheddites being interchangeable with the W209, why should he (or anyone) have to bother starting at 16 grains an "work up" ? And work up to what ?

Just swap the Cheddite primer for the W209 listed on line 436 and go shoot and be done with it.

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
True...

Given your statement above about Cheddites being interchangeable with the W209, why should he (or anyone) have to bother starting at 16 grains an "work up" ? And work up to what ?

Just swap the Cheddite primer for the W209 listed on line 436 and go shoot and be done with it.

Maybe so he finds the load that works for him and not the screaming butt kicker he doesn't need. Work up to the 18.5 gn hotrod.

Kinda simple once you grasp the concept.

Don T

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been using 17.5 of red dot works fine with CB's I think that is what I will try with DR's. I have interchanged cheddite with W 209's and could not see a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Working up" is a metallic cartridge concept. Its not suitable when reloading shotgun shells. With shot shells you need to stick with the published data, not work away from it. With shot shells the first sign the pressure has gone too high is when the gun blows up in your face!

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
"Working up" is a metallic cartridge concept. Its not suitable when reloading shotgun shells. With shot shells you need to stick with the published data, not work away from it. With shot shells the first sign the pressure has gone too high is when the gun blows up in your face!

If the book lists 3 loads, each a little hotter than the next, then 'working up' is a perfectly sensible idea for shotshell loading as well. Unless, of course, you want the poor fellow to jump right on the hottest load in the book which might not be the right load for him and his shotgun. I wonder. Do you guys ever listen to yourselves spouting bull crap?

16 whole posts there bubba. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Don T

Reactions: Garyd and mg1polo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts