Just picked up 5000 down range Wj-12rpl I have been shooting wtw-12
Cb4118-12 b
What is your experience with down range
IMG_3699.jpg
IMG_3698.jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
I usually prefer Downrange wads. However, my last few bags Windjammer and PC 28 wads have a lot of defects (excess plastic from the manufacturing process). Really put me off from buying any more in the future.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Downrange wads are all I load also, I agree with Merlyn and the others. Have known Kevin since he first started and he has been outstanding, as are his wads. For almost 10 years I stopped reloading for the 12 and 20 and when I started up again this winter for the obvious reasons first thing I did was buy a case of DR XL-1 and a case of the orange dusters.

DR makes the best, and only, 7/8 oz. 16 ga. wad in existence the DR16. I never stopped loading for the 16 and am down to a couple thousand DR16 wads. Many 16 ga. shooters are out and he hasn't made a run of them for awhile now he has had issues with mother nature and his buildings more than once in the last couple of years. Talked to him in January and he was hoping to have another run of DR16 wads by the end of January but that hasn't happened. He has been running full bore trying to keep up with the demand for standard ga. wads. Wait... now that I think about it use anything but downrange wads so that he can catch a breath and make a run of the DR16 wads so that those of us that also shoot the 16 can get resupplied!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I usually prefer Downrange wads. However, my last few bags Windjammer and PC 28 wads have a lot of defects (excess plastic from the manufacturing process). Really put me off from buying any more in the future.
I also prefer the DR Windjammer clone but was also put off by the abundant flashing I experienced in a previous case. The latest case purchased is not as bad & as far as I can tell the flashing doesn't appear to diminish the wads performance. Earlier cases purchased of these wads always appeared perfect & did not have this flashing issue at all. I've written the current condition off to general product degradation that seems to be so common in these times. Let me add that I did reach out to DR about this last year & the flashing issue was curtly dismissed without any explanation. That surprised me considering the great testimonials attesting to DR's customer service from a number of our reliable members. Maybe Kevin was having a bad day? All in all I like the wad & continue to use DR products.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Can you enlighten me on what "abundant flashing" is? Can't follow the issue. Sorry
To deflect any negative responses 1st let me say I have no intention of trying to hurt anyone or their business which I support with my continued purchases. I was responding to jet setter's post to which I had a similar experience. I was able to dig up my email from 2/27/2020 & pull of the pictures I sent to DR. I want to repeat that all the prior cases I purchased of these wads did not have this flashing issue.
No need to apologize for your inquiry, I hope these pictures help you to follow the issue better.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well,you all talking about how great the downrange wads are.I have probably loaded 40,000. What does it matter if you cant get them?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use both brands and no issues with either one, they load great and perform great. Downrange wads i have are white and Claybuster wads are light blue. I load them in STS Nitro AA and Gold Medal hulls even though the Gold Medal are straight wall not tapered.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think they are the best.Hope he gets back in production.Dont know where to buy them for less than 175.00 delivered

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My take is started with only OEM wads 40 years ago then to Claybuster then to Uniwad Claybuster then for a very long time Downrange.
I think it depends what style what style wad you want to use in your hull.
As all AA12 wads are not the same neither are Figure8 wads.
All manufacturers make them slightly different size as to cup depth to crush thickness size and total length. Yes I measured them with calipers.
Does this make them any better or worse ?
I have no clue.
What do I use in wads today both Downrange & Claybuster

1 - 20 of 38 Posts