Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How has everyone's experience with Down Range Blue DRXL 1/1/8 and DRXXL Pink 7/8 oz wads been okay? I am considering changing from the Winchester 1 1/8 and 7/8 oz wads to these due to the large price difference?

·
Registered
810 Posts
While I have no experience with the 1 1/8 oz Down Range wads, I do use the DRXXL 7/8 oz wads. I have loaded/fired thousands of shells with these wads and am completely satisfied with their performance. I tried the Winchester wads and Remington wads for 7/8 oz loads and did not like either of these. The Down Range wads load easily on my MEC 9000E (Automate) loader and pattern beautifully in my Beretta 687 unsingle at 16 yard targets. I think you will find them a great wad subsitute. Just use the Winchester WAA12SL load data for 7/8 oz loads.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I have shot thousands of Down Range wads of several types - in 1 1/8 ounce - 1 ounce and 7/8 ounce - have been very pleased with the products.....and I have found they are great people to talk to as well.....

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just bought another 5000 XL1 and XL118 wads last week. I shot loaded over 5000 last year including 1000 XXL 7/8's and found they pattern well and leave much less plastic residue in the barrel/chokes than nearly any of the others, clone or OEM. You will be satisfied at the least and probably very impressed.

The neon green looks pretty impressive scream across a dark background under the lights at night too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Both are excellent wads. If you're using the 1 1/8s for handicap, you also might want to try their Versalite wads. Those things are great.

Jim

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've shot several cases of the XL-1 with great results. The only problem I've had is trying to find another case when I need one. There is NO one pandling them in S.E.Minnesota area. Dale

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I load, shoot, and sell Downrange Wads! They are the best! The XL-1 1/8 (blue) is a very good wad. I load it in STS hulls for my second shot in doubles. I also use it in a practice handicap load. The Versalite is a very good handicap wad, as mentioned. The XXL pink is really catching on. I do not shoot 7/8 ounce, but I have buyers that really love the wad! I have all of these wads in stock, and are ready to ship. Please let me know if you need any!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises Phone: (270) 804-5454

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have not found any wads I like better than Downrange.

In Remington hulls the XL family is all I use any more.

In Winchester hulls I like the DRA series for 1 and 1 1/8 and the XXL for the 7/8 oz, this being due to the slightly smaller volume of the winchester hulls.

I am slowly wearing out my stash of Winchester hulls and they are being replaced by Remington hulls but that is another story all together.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've shot numerous versions of the Downrange wads. I have never found any wad, factory or otherwise, that I liked any better.

Ron Ireland

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have used claybuster wads all my reloading career. Can someone tell me the difference between the Down Range wad and the Claybuster wads. How do they compare price wise? Are the Down Range wads priced competitively with the CB wads? Tom

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
I switched over from Claybuster to Downrange initially just to try them. Found that they loaded better in Remington hulls (this is my subjective call). Price seems to be about the same as Claybuster. I REALLY like the XL-1 and XXL-7/8 and have shot thousands of them. Best Regards, Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.